broken

Hope you guys enjoy it! 🤍 Another update might be coming tomorrow!

"Nothing can dim the light that shines from within." — Maya Angelou
———————————————————-

Chapter 40
<——————————————->

"Thank you for doing this," I whispered to Raven, for the thousandth time today.

She rolled her eyes, the smile on her face apparent. "You're welcome...you're lucky there was a movie, lunch, and a fresh set involved." I laughed as she blew on her already dry, freshly done nails. We had gotten ours the same.

Teresa joined the conversation, without invitation. "Are you girls' ready for the movie?"

"Yep, let's hope it's good," Raven answered for both me and her.

I glanced at my best friend out the corner of my eye, my suspicions raising. I couldn't ignore the labor in her step, redness under her eyes, or the distant look on her face when she thought no one was looking. But, I was.

Teresa took a sip from her coffee before smiling at me. "What movie do you think we should see, Kimberly? I was thinking something calm."

I glanced up from my jeans. "Whatever you think is best." I was too busy with Raven to worry about a movie.

I would be a liar if I said I hadn't had any fun, though. In the midst of our nails getting painted, and our feet getting massaged, I caught myself laughing at the things both Raven and Teresa were saying. I wasn't sure if that changed my feelings about her, but it did help lighten the tension between us slightly.

"Uh," I began, yanking on Raven's arm. Teresa paused in step, turning around. "Raven and I need to use the restroom really quickly. We'll be right back."

I didn't really have to use the bathroom; I just needed to speak to Raven in private. I could tell something was going on with her, and I would get to the bottom of it.

Raven looked at me, her eyebrows sunken in confusion. "I do?"

"Yes, you do, now come on," I muttered loud enough for only her to hear.

"I'll wait on you two," Teresa told us.

I smiled at her. "Thank you," I said, before I dragged a lacking Raven to the restroom.

"Hey, I didn't have to use the bathroom, silly girl," Raven grinned, tapping my nose.

I sighed, smacking her hand away from my face. "Raven, what's going on with you?"

Her eyebrows raised, before she burst out into fits of laughter. "Nothing, what's wrong with you?"

I didn't want to push her, but I knew it had to be done. Raven was stubborn, and as bad as I hated to do it, I needed to press.

"This is not about me, this is about you," I said, grasping her by the hand. "I'm your best friend, and I know when something's up. Something's going on," I sighed, squeezing her hand. "I'm here, Raven. Just talk to me."

Past the perfectly placed makeup, I saw the crack of vulnerability. She lowered her head, her eyes dropping as she swallowed her next lie.

Her eyes raised to mine before she rolled them. "Well you can't help me, alright? So, just drop the subject and leave me alone about it," she snapped.

Before I could say anything else, she pushed past my shoulder, and left the bathroom. Something wasn't right with her, and I could only guess it was either her father's absence that was weighing heavy, or Levi.