tough girl

Hope you guys love it! I will update soon! Thank you so much for having me rank in teen fiction all flipping month, ahh! And, thanks to everyone for reading! Enjoy! 🤍

"You always gain by giving love."— Reese Witherspoon
———————————————————-

Chapter 44
<——————————————->

"Don't do anything that I wouldn't do, alright?" Jax told me.

I chuckled into the phone. "You know it."

Maggie hummed for a moment before saying, "Well...whatever pleases your innocent soul, babe."

At my shaky sigh, Jax spoke again.

"Hey, don't stress," he reassured me. "You've been alone with him before, right? So, what's different now?"

Everything, I wanted to say.

Instead, I chose, "You're right." Saying it aloud was for the both of us.

"Well, we're going to let you go," Maggie said. "I'm expecting a group call as soon as you're home."

"Agreed," Jax added. "Love you, babes."

I chuckled at this. "Bye, guys. I love you too." We said our last farewells, before I ran my hands down the black pants Raven had helped me find.

It was the only comforting thing I could manage, along with the pretty black blouse to match. I ended the fit with a pair of matching pumps, and a few jewelry pieces.

I had to suppress a yawn once again, continuing to rub at my eyes. Last night had really done a toll on me. Or, well...he had.

It was nearing noon, now. I hated to admit that I was slightly impatient with this, but I was, without a doubt. I'd only gotten a couple of hours of sleep, and I spent the entire morning nursing a headache and my panic. The day definitely hadn't been easy.

Celeste had saved my ass, once again. She told my dad that I was working an extra long shift today, so that I was able to go out with Kade. She truly was a savior.

I was able to pull some strings with her, though I promised to work extra hours tomorrow morning to cover for it. It was going to be an interesting Saturday, but I accepted it nonetheless.

There were only a couple of days left of my suspension, and I wasn't looking forward to it. At all.

I knew that Amber had a lot of friends, which meant a lot of defenders on her part, and probably even more lies to tell about me.

I wasn't worried though. Something light pinched at me chest, something relieving. I still had my friends, and for the first time, I wouldn't be alone in defending myself. I knew that Maggie would be the first to use violence if needed, even though she swore not to.

Yeah, right.

A knock sounded out at my foot. I looked up in time to catch Teresa in my doorway, a small smile on her face.

"Hey, you better hurry, and go before your dad gets home," she told me.

My stomach churned at the sound of the familiar engine outside of my window. "He's here, isn't he?"

Teresa's face transitioned into something entirely different. Her smile was knowing. "Mhm, he is, and I think there's something you want to see." She stepped out of the way to allow me passage through.

I rushed past her like a supernatural being. If logic was on my side, my feet would have slowed me down to save me from the panic.

I yanked the door open. The first thing my gaze went to was him. "Are you—" my words fell into a quiet corner as I looked to his hands.