my mistake

————————————————————
Welcome to my book whether you're a first or a reread! This is my first time writing a book, so don't come at me too hard lmao. Also there are comments lmaoo, they just fall from the specific paragraphs they were attached to whenever I edit. This book is completed, as of 2022 and under editing.

I'm gonna go ahead & answer this ONCE — No, this is not a 'he likes her so he steals her diary' or 'he's trying to get her attention' type of plot. Don't expect it. The simplicity is expected of stories like this, but it's not in mine.

ANOTHER thing that I will address is: You see how many chapters there are!! A LOT. Don't be ignorant. Do not expect a major turnover in my character's developments within the first 10-15 chapters of the book. There's a lot of chapters for a reason.

Now. Without further ado...I hope you guys enjoy my story lovelies! 🤍 unicornsxpretty created the amazing cover!

"Someone I once knew wrote that we walk away from our dreams afraid that we may fail or worse yet, afraid we may succeed." – Forrester, from Finding Forrester
———————————————————

Chapter 1
<——————————————->

I REMEMBERED THE first time I watched a romance movie. It was sappy, but still romantic nonetheless.

I still had the image drawn in my head. The girl had drowned in her tears, while her boyfriend packed his clothes after they had gotten into a big argument. They continued to ignore each other for weeks, only to get back together after realizing their love could not be replaced. I remembered asking myself, 'Who would put themselves through that much pain just to be with someone else?' 

Then, I was a little kid. But months ago, I received my first, real taste of love. Not one of the breathtaking, die for you, heart slamming against my chest ones. No, it was something entirely different.

The last time I'd seen my mothers' knockoff smile, it was in front of a judge. That day was one of the best ones I'd ever experienced. Everything seemed to be fresh.

Seeing my fathers' arms open wide for me as the judge declared custody. Hearing my mothers' objection. Hugging Ryland, my older brother, for the first time. Watching from a car window as we drove away from my hell.

I appreciated every effort the two of them made, but my mind had concluded something long before then.

It was all just a joke.

The ridiculous quotes schools plastered over the wall, the standards movies and books set that were too high to even be considerable in the real world. The temporary smiles and laughs, the idea of such things as happy families and relationships.

All a joke.

A terrible joke on doomed mankind that others, like myself, didn't find as funny.

My family had let me down far before a relationship ever could. It was all a repeating pattern. I'd convince myself that after middle school, perhaps I would be able to reinvent myself and the image that I see.

What a joke.

One thought was perched in my head as I set eyes on the new high school I'd be attending for my senior year. I chuckled. Perhaps, forgiving those who had hurt me in the past would have kept me from attending here.