steak

———————————————————
So sorry for the late update! Enjoy! 🤍

"The remarkable thing is, we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day."— Charles R. Swindoll
————————————————————

Chapter 24
<——————————————->

If a stranger had witnessed my reaction, they would have depict I had been a victim of a accident. That was how badly I was freaking out.

The short, bulky man—who was dressed in security attire—glared at us. Once his big eyes landed onto my shaky figure, I thought I felt my heart flee from my chest.

His voice bounced off the walls. "Are you two deaf? I said what in the hell are you doing out here?" he yelled, this time a bit louder.

Before I could comprehend, Kade had took my hand in his. My shoulder slammed into the man's shoulder, the contact causing him to fall over.

Kade and I continued to run down the hotel's staircase, and my frantic breathing was the only thing that had managed to reach past the shock. Walking wasn't as difficult, but running about killed me.

When my speed fell, Kade continued to run. I gawked at the fact that he had left me, but at this point, I was breathing out a year's supply of air.

"Jump!"

My head snapped up at Kade's demand, and though my heart rate was to the roof, I felt it fall right back down to the floor. I looked over the railing of the staircase I was currently in, to see Kade one flight down.

Oh hell no.

From here, I could see him. "Why the fuck are you just looking at me for? I said jump!" Kade shouted at me.

My face was a dead giveaway at my fear. It wasn't a far jump, but it all depended on the man at the bottom. The man that hates me. I'll be damned if I break my neck because of him, too.

My head pulsed as I shook it. "I can't!" I yelled back.

His eyes fell, a curse spewing from his lips. "Kimberly, I swear to god, if you don't jump—"

"Not right now, Kade!" I shouted, my nerves overcoming me.

"Kimberly!" he scowled at me, then sighed so loud, it echoed in my ears. "Listen...just trust me, okay?"

I looked at him, and even though we were a distance from each other, I could still see clearly. A soft, pleading look was burned in his eyes, and I couldn't decipher the racing of my heart from fear or from hope.

I squeezed my eyes shut to soothe the burning before focusing on him. "How can I trust you won't drop me?"

He stared back at me, our eye contact never fading. "You can't know for sure unless you jump. I won't let you fall, okay?"

The security guard's voice alarmed me immediately. "I can hear you! You two are coming with me!" From what I heard, he was only a staircase or two above me, so I needed to get moving.

"Jump!" Kade shouted at me, his tone formed into a plea.

I closed my eyes, my fear drumming along in my ears. "Trust him and jump, Kimberly," I whispered to myself.

I opened my eyes at the same time my body went over the railing. I waited for the hard impact that was expected, but nothing came. In fact, it was the opposite.

Warm arms were wrapped around my shaky figure so tight, it felt as if he were trying to merge us. The mixture of aftershave and a minty freshness wandered into my open nose, and I breathed it in as a way of comfort.