boyfriend-girlfriend

Writers block is a menace. I'm trying to get over it. Enjoy the chapter!🤍

"You always gain by giving love. —Reese Witherspoon​

———————————————————

Chapter 49
<——————————————->

I slid the bowl that Teresa placed in front of me away from my body. My stomach rolled as the anticipation of today set in.

"Kim. Can you pass the syrup?"

I looked up from the table to see three sets of eyes staring back. I blinked multiple times, attempting to rekindle their words.

Ryland's eyebrow raised. "Could you pass the syrup?" His smile awoke my scowl.

"Sure," I said with a sarcastic shade.

I pushed the syrup toward him with extra force, smiling as it landed right into his lap.

This time, his scowl inspired my grin. "Oops."

Ryland shook his head, placing the syrup on the table. "You're lucky it was closed."

If only it wasn't.

I tried to let go of my anger, but every time that I thought over our last argument, it did nothing to settle my fury.

When I walked into the hall this morning, there was a change in him. He pretended that our argument had never happened, as if we were back to ourselves once again. We barely argued, and even when we did, they never went that deep.

I disregarded my dad's stare, and concentrated on happy thoughts. The only thought that I could cook up when it came to something happy, was the guy I'd spent all night rolling and turning over.

Last night was the start of something. Something far more beautiful that I could have ever imagined. Even when I tried to, all I saw was a bright light that hid the contents of the future from me.

I glanced over my brother and dad, reflecting Kade's past. We were connected, in ways that I had never imagined.

It was then that I remembered Ryland's attitude toward Kade. It all made sense in terms of the past.

It was crazy to imagine my dad in that life. In fact, I couldn't see it. I always thought that my dad never had a violent bone in his body. I wanted to ask so many questions, to let them both know that I was in on their pasts. But, something held me back.

I wasn't too sure if I were scared to ask, or if I was terrified of the answer.

I cleared my throat. "Dad, I need to get caught up on my class work, but I need the notes. Is it okay if I go to Ravens or Maggies after school?"

I was actually planning to see Kade, but I knew better in saying that.

He cheated on the slice of bacon for a considerable time. "As long as you come straight home right afterwards," he finally responded.

I nodded. "I promise I will." I stood up from the table, dumping the leftovers in the trash. "I'm heading out."

Teresa turned to thank my plate and then smiled. "Bye, Kim."

I smiled back, then walked out of the house with my music blaring into my ears. I gripped my bag tightly, my footsteps quick and steady.

The wind was smack cold against my skin. My body was covered with the thick material of my hoodie, and my jeans. My face, on the other hand, was unshielded from the unmerciful wind.