retaliation|part 1

Enjoy!🤍

"Come live in my heart, and pay no rent."-- Samuel Lover
———————————————————

Chapter 38|Part 1
<——————————————->

"How was your dad?" Maggie asked as she hauled a bag of groceries into the trunk.

I placed another bag inside. "He was fine, thanks for taking me by there." My dad was expected to be released earlier, but they wanted to keep him until the end of the week for observation. It nearly scared me out of the party, but my dad wasn't taking no for an answer. So, now, it was Friday, and I was still stuck going to this damned party.

She nodded her head. "Trust me, it was no problem. I know you would do the same for any of us."

Her black sneakers hit the pavement one step at a time as we got into her car. I strapped my seatbelt on before I spoke, again.

"So, do you have any idea of what happened between Raven and Levi?" I asked her. I had told Raven about the hallway incident, but she hadn't seemed the bit surprised. In fact, she was more agitated at his name than anything, so I left it at that.

She shook her head in response as she started the car. "Nah, she didn't tell me anything about it, I figured she said something to you."

Raven was usually upfront about her emotions so whatever had happened, must have cut her deeply. "Maybe she'll say something about it tonight, but let's not try to push it out of her," I said.

"Pushing is a speciality of mine, Jax says," she joked. "But, yeah, you're right."

I chuckled at her. "You and Jax are one entertaining set of siblings." I stared out the window as the tiny droplet of water slip down the glass.

"What are twins for," she mumbled with a chuckle to follow. "He and granny are all I have, though," I heard her say through the small tremor of rain.

I nodded. "I get it." Whatever family her and I had left, we cared for deeply. "So, do you know any other family from your dad or mom's side?"

She laughed, though the sound was not very humorous. "Nope, and I sure as hell never care to, either. I don't want shit concerning either of them, except for them to rot in hell." Darkness treaded through her expression, flickering between that and anger before she wiped it off with a chuckle, "Honestly, the only two people who kept me from juvenile was Jax and our grandmother. The woman's a saint, that's gut sure."

"Your parents, you haven't spoken to them ever since they left?" I asked her.

Maggie kept her eyes forward, her jaw rolling back and forth. "Not one word since they left Jax and I on granny's doorstep."

I glanced at her for a second. "That's horrible."

"I don't really care to think about it." She shrugged. "Besides, us being with granny was for the best. They were never really meant to be parents if they decided to hurt us the way they did," her words were full of distrust, anger, and a great amount of terrorized anguish, so much so that I felt it make my bones ache.

I pinched the skin along my fingers as I tore my away from her. There was something ticking in the back of my head, something that I couldn't quite make realization of.

I didn't know what it was, but something inside of me felt as if there was more. It wasn't that I didn't believe her story, but her words nearly sounded...rehearsed. I believed the hurt, the anger, but something didn't click about her story.