Dimitri X Reader- Different to me (Request)

Request: @ReinMoira2000
Warnings: None
Word count: 916
Gender: Male

Don't be fooled by the art. This is pre timeskip. I just think the confession art is cute, although his nose is nonexistent.
Enjoy!

(Y/N) was already exhausted when he arrived on the battlefield- His eyes were barely open and even swinging a sword seemed too difficult.

It was only obvious that someone would take advantage of it.

With one thrust, the enemy pierced the boy's leg, and soon enough (Y/N) collapsed on the ground, close to blacking out. He noticed foggy shapes moving rapidly, but he did not budge.

But the soldier did not finish it there, thrusting his spear in (Y/N)'s other leg, immobilizing him completely. The boy let out an agonizing shout, but no one seemed to hear him. Paralyzed to the bloodied ground, he tried to catch the man with his hands, but he ran away.

Exhausted and helpless, he shut close his eyes, too close to death, it seemed. If this was about to be his final moments, then so be it.

(Y/N) passed out, the only sound he distinctively heard in the distance was his name shouted in horror.

~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~

(Y/N) slowly opened his eyes, thinking that he'd be alone in the infirmary, but immediately shut them when he noticed Professor Manuela and Dimitri hovered over him, worried and serious. (Y/N) did it out of instinct, instead listening to the two's conversation.

"Prince Dimitri, (Y/N) is lucky to have someone with such a wonderful heart," she got up, "I did all I could do for him for now, but do call me when he wakes up- I'm assuming you'll be staying by his side?"

"I will," (Y/N) could hear the worry and sadness in his voice. It was painful to witness.

"Ah, prince, don't look so heartbroken! Your friend will turn out just fine."

"Truly, Manuela? You think so?"

"I know so. The wounds may be deep but they won't kill him. I've seen too many wounds like these. It's the quickest way to get unable the enemy from striking back. Sure, (Y/N) will be stuck to his bed for a couple of weeks, but he'll be fine," she smiled, "So don't worry. He's in good hands."

"It's a feeling I can't help, Manuela. I hope you understand."

"I do..." She went silent for a moment before speaking again, "Don't forget, prince. Call me when he wakes up."

"I won't."

"Good."

(Y/N) heard Manuela close the door behind her and Dimitri sigh. He assumed the prince had sat down, from the screeching sound the chair made when he sat down.

"I've been so foolish, (Y/N)... So foolish. I should've stayed by your side, but instead, I got so carried away in the heat of battle, trying to end it all as soon as I could, that I forgot to not stray too far away... The state you are in right now... It's all my fault. I should've been more careful," he sighed one more, "(Y/N), Goddess, if you heard me now, I wonder what you would say."

To Dimitri's surprise, what he heard next was (Y/N)'s hushed voice, in pain.

"I would say it's not your fault."

Dimitri, shocked, widened his eyes, "(Y/N)!"

(Y/N) half-opened his eyes.

"You only did what you had to do. You can't always be by my side, Dimitri... I got distracted and it left an opening one took advantage off."

"(Y/N), thank the Goddess!" 

Dimitri, in the heat of the moment, embraced (Y/N) tightly- So tight that (Y/N) had to scream for him to let go.

"Ah! Forgive me! I sometimes forget the limits of my own strength..."

"Dimitri, Dimitri... Don't forget that I may be alive but I'm not intending on dying soon," he chuckled, resting himself on the bed board, "You cry my state and yet, as soon as I show some sign of vitality, you take it all away from me."

"It was but an accident! And your state! Of course I'm mad. I'm going mad," Dimitri rest his head in the palm of his hands, "I knew this would happen sooner or later. You haven't slept in days and you could barely walk straight! I promised myself to keep an eye on you, but I got carried away," he muttered to himself, "I should've forbidden you from coming with us..."

"So that's why you've been looking so worried about me lately! Asking me if I ate or how many hours of sleep I got! And I thought you did that for everyone..."

A worried frown settles upon Dimitri's face, "No. Just you, (Y/N). I don't want you to end up getting killed on the battlefield. I care deeply about you, (Y/N), do you understand?"

"I thought you cared about all of the Blue Lions, and yet they're never watched over like this."

Dimitri fidgeted and looked down at the floor, unsure what to say. He was becoming quite flustered.

"You're different, (Y/N). I care about you in a different way... It's difficult to explain," his frown deepened, "To me, you are different. In my heart, you mean so much more."

(Y/N) was a little confused, "Like a brother?"

Dimitri sighed, "No. More."

It was (Y/N)'s turn to become flustered, when he finally understood what Dimitri was actually insinuating, "Oh... Dimitri," he chuckled, happy, "I think I get it. I hope I do- I love you too."

Dimitri said nothing.

"Or perhaps it's something else entirely..."

"No, no. You're perhaps right," Dimitri finally smiled, "Love. I love you, (Y/N)."