Gaius X Reader- The assistant (Request)

Request: @SarahThenshi
Warnings: None
Word count: 951
Pronouns: They/them
Additional Info: None

This man used to be such a huge favorite fr. I remember watching that one video with all the fe awakening confessions (that's actually how I discovered Fe lmao) and everyone in the comments was all over this man 😭 I get it. He's top tier. Voice acting in that game really was something else.
Anyways, enjoy!

During their free time, (Y/N) liked to walk around camp, but a guilty pleasure of theirs, that only they knew about, was to stop by the kitchen and catch a glimpse of Gaius' baking.

It smelled amazing, and despite their complete ignorance when it came to gastronomy, (Y/N) still enjoyed to stop by sometimes and watch in awe as the sweet man prepped desserts of all kinds.

(Y/N) tried to be discreet, because it would be embarrassing to ask Gaius if they could watch and perhaps even try those magical sweets.

And so, instead, they would secretly watch the magic happen, and as soon as Gaius would turn his back, (Y/N) would scurry off.

Gaius knew. He had realized that (Y/N) liked to watch him. They weren't very discreet, if not at all, but it didn't bother him. He liked the attention and found those short instances even adorable.

~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~

"Here, (Y/N). Taste test me this," Gaius one day said, and without a moment's hesitation, he shoved a spoon full of cake in (Y/N)'s mouth.

Before they even got the chance to argue, they were overcome by the wonderful taste of the mysterious desert.

"So? What do you think?"

(Y/N) thought Gaius was joking at first. Was he really asking them what they thought about the desert?

(Y/N) didn't say anything at first, too focused on chewing, and too oblivious, but when Gaius kept on bugging them about it, they realized that he was really looking for feedback.

"Hum! I-It's good! Really good," they finished chewing before they could proceed any further, "It's amazing, Gaius. What is that? Hm... Carrot cake?"

"Bingo. It took you a little while to guess though. Is it that hard to tell?"

"Maybe because of all the sugar," and so (Y/N) chuckled, "Either you got to add more carrots to the mix, or you need to tone it down with the sugar."

"Tone it down with the sugar!" Gaius seemed offended by the mere mention of the thought, "My, (Y/N), you're on very dangerous ground. Lots of sugar is my trademark!"

'You, of all people, should know that,' he thought to himself.

"Then put in more carrots."

"They're not that easy to find."

"Really? Carrots?" (Y/N) did not seem very convinced.

"Look," he slightly smirked, "I'll tell you what. Since you seem to know so much about carrots, go fetch me some the next time I'll be baking a carrot cake," but then his eyes lit up, "Actually? You should help me with all my sweets. I'm sure you'd love to be around the kitchen."

That last remark seemed very intended for (Y/N), who indeed, spent most of their time lurking around the kitchen, watching Gaius cook. They raised a brow, looked up at Gaius, but said nothing. They thought about the offer for a good minute, before finally giving in. That was their dream after all, wasn't it? To be in the kitchen and watch the magic of baking happen. Might as well say yes.

If that were even possible, Gaius' eyes lit up even more, to the point where they were sparkling with excitement. Without a moment's hesitation, as soon as the deal was done, he dragged (Y/N) to the kitchen.

~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~

And so began (Y/N)'s journey as Gaius' assistant in the kitchen, but to be fair, (Y/N) sat around more than running around fetching for ingredients.

Even after the mere effort was made, Gaius would sit them down, and would come up a dumb excuse, such as that 'poor (Y/N) couldn't just run around all day (which wasn't true) and that they needed to rest a bit'.

(Y/N) found it a bit embarrassing. They wouldn't do much. They would sit around and watch Gaius bake. Gaius did not allow (Y/N) near the kitchen equipment though, for some odd reason, which annoyed them even more.

The only time when (Y/N) truly 'helper' Gaius with something was when they would taste test something- and that happened a lot.

Finally, after a good couple of weeks went by, (Y/N) couldn't take it anymore.

"Gaius, you can't just keep me siting here doing nothing! Give me something to do, anything! Am I your assistant or what?"

Gaius turned around with his mixing bowl and looked at (Y/N) with a raised brow, "I don't get it. You help lots around the kitchen."

"That's not true! I just... sit here and do nothing! I taste test and that's it!"

"You also boost my morale! That's a lot!"

"Boost your morale?" (Y/N) sighed, "By just sitting around and watching you bake? Okay."

"Isn't that what you wanted though?"

"What I wanted?" (Y/N) raised a brow.

Gaius chuckled, getting closer to his friend, "What? Did you really think yourself that discreet? Sneaking a peak at my baking from behind closed doors?"

(Y/N) became red with embarrassment, as they hid their face in their hands.

"You saw that?"

"You're no ninja, but it's okay. I don't mind the attention, or else I wouldn't have asked you to come here. I think it's sweet."

(Y/N) didn't have the courage to look him in the eye after that.

"And you like tasting sweets and watching me bake. I think it's a win win."

(Y/N) was about to retort but as soon as they opened their mouth, Gaius shoved another spoon full of cake into their mouth.

"No need to answer. I already know what you're gonna say. Now, taste test me this, and if you really want to do something useful, go fetch me some sugar."