Jeralt X Reader- The orphan (Request)

Request: @clover_cloud738
Warnings: None
Word count: 923
Gender: Female
Additional Info: None

Enjoy!

Jeralt and (Y/N) were making their rounds around the Academy when they noticed some bandits hurting some villagers in a nearby village.

They fought them to the death, and luckily, both Jeralt and (Y/N) got out of there alive, after killing every last one of them (wink wink).

"Thank the Goddess we came in time. It could've really gotten worse in a matter of minutes," said (Y/N), as she put her sword back in its sheath.

"We should give those back to the villagers," replied Jeralt, as he took away what the bandits had stolen from the villagers- some food, a lot of wine, and even some medicine.

As the two mercenaries made their way inside the village, the villagers bowed down to them and drowned them in thanks. Some of them even offered them recommendation for saving their loved ones, which (Y/N) and Jeralt felt obligated to take.

One of the villagers showed them the way to the main estate, where resided the 'mayor' (if one could call him that), who greeted them with open arms.

"How can I ever thank you two? If it weren't for you, the village would be in shambles!" He exclaimed.

"We've got all we need. The villagers gave us some things," Jeralt said, before laying on the man's table all that needed to be returned, "I don't think the bandits stole anything else."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! Truly! Thank you! How about you stay for dinner?" He asked, gesturing to the local pub outside the estate.

(Y/N) looked back at her partner, "We could..."

"Thank you, but no, we need to get going. We're expected at the Church," Jeralt firmly turned down.

"Right... Of course. Well, thank you again."

And so the two mercenaries headed back outside.

"We could've stayed," she said.

"I know, but I don't think Lady Rhea or Seteth would've liked that."

The two mercenaries kept on walking, when all of a sudden, (Y/N) something something- or, someone.

"Wait," she put her arm in front of Jeralt. He frowned, confused.

"What?"

"Wait here."

But he didn't. He followed from behind (Y/N), who slowly approached a small child. The small child was hiding behind a table. They were in rags and seemed abandoned by everyone, almost.

"Oh! The poor thing! I wonder where her parents are," she muttered, kneeling down in front of her. The child took a few steps back. Their lips began to tremble and their eyes widened.

Jeralt asked a nearby villager about the kid. The villager told him that her parents had been killed by some bandits a few days back.

"She's in everyone's care now, but she often prefers to still hang around her parents' room. The poor kid really misses them," the villager said with a sigh.

"I see," Jeralt looked back at the child, and then at (Y/N), who couldn't keep her of them.

"Jeralt, we can't leave this child here! They're an orphan!"

"(Y/N)..."

"Come on! It's not right! Where's your good heart, Jeralt? I know you have one."

He frowned. A light blush appeared on his cheeks.

"- Or else you wouldn't have cared to save this village from the bandits."

He said nothing.

"I'm sure they take good care of her here. I don't think we can just bring a random kid with us to the Monastery-"

"If-" The villager who had remained behind them the whole time started, "If you can take her with you, that would be amazing."

The two mercenaries turned around. The small child rushed into (Y/N)'s arms.

"Don't get me wrong, we love the kid, but we have a hard time taking care of them like this. Here at the village, the schedules are pretty tough. We've got the crops to water, the shops that need to stay opened, animals that need to be fed, so if you could take the child, that would be-"

"We'll take them," Jeralt finally said. He looked back at (Y/N)'s who's face lit up.

"Really, Jeralt?"

"Really?" Said the villager, "That would be amazing! The kid deserves a better home! Thank you! You have done so much... I'll go tell the others!" The villager then ran off, leaving the two mercenaries alone with the child.

"So, we're taking this kid with us, huh?" Jeralt said, looking back at the kid.

"You said it! Oh, Jeralt!" And she embraced him, and along with her, came the little child, who with their little arms, embraced the man too.

"What made you change your mind?"

"The kid... They look just like when Byleth was a kid- I suppose that... I suppose that must've affected me in some way."

"I knew you were a good man, Jeralt. I know the Church owns a orphanage, so I'm sure Lady Rhea won't mind if we bring her an orphan. In fact, I'm sure she'll be delighted!" She laughed, "And that's perfect, because you sure do like pleasing her!"

"Yes, well, I didn't exactly have that in mind. I especially wanted to please you," he blushed, and muttered softly, "I've never seen you so happy."

(Y/N) blushed, "I suppose I've always wanted to have a child. Sure, this is far from it- We're just gonna bring them to the orphanage, but still, it's a step in the right direction, I think."

"Well, until we get to the Church, this kid is yours."

"- Ours, you mean," and she smiled even wider.

"Right. Our child... for now."