Edelgard X Reader- Plain but odd (Request)

Request: @OnlyOneAuthor
Warnings: None
Word count: 989
Gender: Female
Additional Info: None

And the award for the dumbest title goes to... Me!
The character in question was supposed to be Dimitri but I realized that it wouldn't be weird for him to be nice, so I chose Edelgard cause she's sus and can be weirdly nice when she wants to lmao
Anyways, enjoy!

(Y/N) couldn't fall asleep.

Most people would've said it was because of the heat, or an empty stomach, but (Y/N) knew that wasn't it.

It was the exam. She was going to pass her exam tomorrow and she was incredibly nervous.

(Y/N) couldn't fall asleep knowing that in a couple of hours, she would be in front of her teacher, showing them what she had learnt over the past month.

All of a sudden, it felt to her as if she hadn't trained at all, and that all knowledge and skill left her body.

She felt a terrible guilt, as she laid there on her bed, not training. It prevented her from actually falling asleep, and she wasn't training either.

'Might as well do one of those,' she thought to herself, 'I can't stay like this forever when I could be doing something productive.'

And so she got up in the middle of the night, and fled to the training grounds.

She was quite certain of her decision at first, but the more she advanced in the dead of the night, with her weapon in hand, the more she was beginning to have doubts- But it was too late for that now.

'I won't stay for too long,' she promised herself, 'Just enough to check if I remember everything for tomorrow.'

~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~

(Y/N) was unsure how much time passed by exactly, but she was sure that her promise was broken.

The moon was high up in the sky- It was probably midnight, and she must've come here one or even two hours earlier.

Her muscles were beginning to wear out, but it still didn't feel like enough- She still felt that residing guilt.

She had to train more.

'Five more minutes,' and so she swung her weapon in the air.

"(Y/N)?" A voice rose from a corner of the arena- A stern yet concerned voice that the girl couldn't quite put a picture on, but she swore she heard it before.

(Y/N) stopped in her tracks.

"Is that you?" The voice asked again, and she could hear the anonymous person getting closer to her.

Her heart was beating fast. She did not move, too nervous.

'But I'll have to turn around some day... I can't stay like this forever!' And finally, with all the courage (Y/N) could muster, she turned around and saw Edelgard.

"Milady!"

"So it is you," she muttered with a slight frown on her face.  

Embarrassed, (Y/N) flushed and muttered a small 'yes'. How embarrassing was it to be caught training in the middle of the night by the princess of all people? She knew Edelgard just fine- She was her friend, even, but there still was that underlying awkwardness whenever (Y/N) bypassed.

"You should be sleeping..." The princess quietly scolded. She then took a look at her weapon, "Were you training? Why are you doing it so late at night?"

"I couldn't sleep and I have an exam tomorrow so I told myself I might as well use the time I wasted trying to fall asleep training."

"To stop thinking about the exam would be better- Don't you think? You sure will fall asleep fast enough if you do."

Edelgard put it so kindly, but it still bothered and embarrassed (Y/N), for she could tense the princess' disappointment and annoyance in her voice.

"I suppose you're right..." She admitted, embarrassed.

"You'll promise me you'll go to sleep then? And stop worrying about the exam so much?"

"I... I promise," (Y/N) said.

"Besides,"she barely smiled, "You shouldn't worry. I think you'll do well tomorrow."

(Y/N) was in awe. Never had she seen Edelgard be so kind and comforting- It was awfully strange, yet... very nice.

"You promised. You'll head back to your dorm, then?"

"I... I suppose."

"Then I shall accompany you."

And so, (Y/N), speechless, let herself be led by Edelgard to her dorm. Not a word was exchanged between the two girls. The princess stared right in front of her, and (Y/N) gazed to the floor, flushed and nervous.

Finally, they arrived at the girl's dorm. But (Y/N) had to know one last thing. She courageously turned to her friend and asked her, "What were you doing so late at night?"

The emphasis surprised Edelgard, and when (Y/N) noticed the surprise on the princess' face, she realized that she shouldn't have asked that in the first place. Some things were meant to be kept private, especially for a princess.

But Edelgard did not seem offended at all. She just seemed a little unsure what to say.

"I... It's nothing you should worry about," she simply said.

(Y/N) would've liked to know the answer to her question, but before she could question her any further, she was interrupted.

"All you should need to worry about is getting a good night's sleep," she said, and her eyes wondered about before looking back at (Y/N) when she realized something, "And don't worry about the exam. You'll do just fine," she frowned, "Or have I told you that already?"

"You have," but (Y/N) smiled, "But it's okay."

"Alright."

The two girls silently looked at each other, before Edelgard sighed and said, "Good night."

"Good night, Lady Edelgard."

She began to walk away, before shooting one last glance at the girl with a shy smile, "I will patiently wait for the results tomorrow."

"I'll tell them to you as soon as I get them," the girl responded, but it was too late. Edelgard was already out of sight.

What a strange occurrence! Despite how plain it all was, there was still a strange fantastic touch to it. Of all people she couldn't met tonight, she met Edelgard, and she acted so kindly towards her- It was surreal. And now she was gone... It all felt like a dream.

'How odd.'