25 | Of Blind Dates and Reunions

"YOU KNOW, I never pegged you as a black coffee kind of guy." I narrowed my eyes at the crystal blue eyed boy as he brought the cup of coffee to his lips.

He took a drink before saying, "I never pegged you as a blind date kind of girl either." He quipped, quirking an eyebrow at me, and I groaned in annoyance.

Jonah brought me to his and the boys' shared apartment in New York in his black BMW car earlier. When we arrived about five minutes ago, he left me in the lounge room and went straight to the kitchen without a word and made coffee for the both of us.

The lounge room was spacious. I estimated it to be about five hundred square meters big. It had two brown single seats, two brown sofas, one plush white lounge chair with three fluffy pillows spread out, and one glass coffee table in the middle. Across from the lounge chairs was a billiard table, then there was a table tennis table on the other side of the room, there was also a black drum set at the corner. The lounge was surrounded by glass windows and doors that led to the balcony outside. I could only guess that easily overlooks the whole city of New York. Whoever chose this apartment for the boys has great taste, I tell you.

I was seated on the white lounge chair, while he was on the brown sofa, his gaze never leaving me. I took a sip from the black coffee he had given me.

I sent him a glare, "Obviously, I was set up by Four and Chic. However, I didn't expect to see you there."

He pursed his lips, "I didn't expect to see you there either. Christina just told me that she was setting me up for a blind date and I just went with it. I mean, I really can't say no to her, otherwise she would have killed me." He shrugged.

"That girl, I swear." I shook my head with a laugh, and then brought the cup of coffee to my lips again and took a gulp. The bitter taste soothed my tongue as it touched my taste buds and struggled to keep myself from moaning at the deliciousness.

"So can you answer my question now?" Just as I was savoring the taste of the heavenly coffee, Jonah's question cut through my reverie.

I looked at him and retrieved the cup from my lips, "What question?"

He sighed as he put his cup on the glass coffee table. "What happened to us, Asti? I want to know why Cyrus was after us. No one explained anything. The boys and I were left in the dark for the longest time and--"

I guess I really do owe him and the boys an explanation. I mean, I am, after all, the cause of it all. Their lives were put at stake because of me, and it honestly sucks because that was the last thing I wanted to happen. However, it's all in the past now, and all that's left to do is tell them the entire story.

"It was my fault." I cut him off, as I looked down in guilt. My heart clenched as I recalled all the trouble and danger I have put the boys in.

Jonah's eyebrows furrowed, "What do you mean?"

I put my cup on the table and sighed, "I didn't realize that it was a set-up from the beginning," I paused and looked at Jonah who was listening to my explanation intently.

"I wasn't the one supposed to handle your case." I disclosed. I saw Jonah let out a small gasp, and I pursed my lips. "Grey and Gavin were supposed to. But Cyrus had planned that he would put me on your case, because he knew I would crumble." I guiltily sighed as I looked down, fiddling with my clammy hands.

"Crumble?" He asked, making me look up at him. He had a confused expression on his face.

I nodded, "And I did. I let you boys in. I became friends with you, when I wasn't supposed to."

"What's wrong with being friends with us? Didn't it make your job easier before?" I heard him ask, but I let out a huge sigh.

"I fell right into Cyrus' trap." I shook my head, disappointed at what I had done before, "Turns out, when he found out about Eben and my brother going after your lives, he assigned me to your case. He wanted me to be friends with you so I could be weak. And when I did become weak, he struck a deal with my brother. It was for Louis to kill me so that Cyrus could take over the company."