Chapter 18 (rewrite)

"So, is it true?" Levi began, the word true echoed through her veins with guilt. She had briefly considered telling him the truth on multiple occasions, but her fear took over before she could ever relay information.

"I don't know what you want me to say. You already know everything you're asking me." Her voice shivered, she only hoped her terror went unnoticed. It didn't, but it did cause the captain to become confused. Kaya was an unkillable being, why was she afraid of him.

"Why are you so damn afraid? From what I understand, you're fully capable of killing me. So why haven't you? Even when I first started suspecting things, you never displayed any severe violence." He questioned. In truth, Kaya had been a little violent when he was invading her floorboards, and even when his knocking was too loud, though she never intended to hurt him.

"Do you honestly think so lowly of me?" She sounded offended, let alone hurt by his assumption. "I wanted to tell you all this shit, but I was freaking scared. Okay?!" She replied.

"Why the hell were you scared?"

"I don't know."

"How can you not know?"

"I just don't know okay!" She retorted. "I didn't want you to think I was a monster, guess it backfired though."

"But why?" Levi continued to ask. He was unsure what he was referring to at this point, whether it was the eating habits, her reasoning, or why she cared so much about his opinion of her.

"Because, you're one of my only friends, I can't lose you. But it's not as simple as choosing yes or no. If I don't eat when I need to then the people I'm close to would be in danger." A few tears trickled down her face. It was the first time the captain had seen her genuinely cry, even after the squad had died, she didn't give in her act so easily. But now, she was falling apart.

"You know, when everyone told me you weren't human, I stuck by you, I helped you prove them all wrong. But that whole time, you were lying to me?" Now it was Levi's turn to sound hurt, he'd risked so much to retain trust in the ghoul.

"Of course I was lying, what else was I supposed to do? The scouts kill man-eating monsters, what else was I supposed to expect." Levi went silent, he couldn't argue, but he still had questions for Kaya that he felt obligated to ask. "What the hell did you have to gain by even confronting me about all of this?" She changed the subject.

"I don't know?" Levi realised.

"You must have had a goal in mind. Do you want me to leave?" Kaya asked, but the answer was clear to her when Levi didn't respond. "Fine." She said. "I hope you find the kids, and I hope you all get through this shit." She shoved past him, marching towards the exit.

"You're really just gonna give up? I didn't think you'd be this much of a coward." Kaya turned around, dumbfounded by what the captain was saying. "You're a soldier, your duty is to protect humanity and your squad, you need to see this mission through."

"Excuse me?" She questioned. "What the hell are you talking about?! Levi I eat people, it's not exactly very humane, so why do you still want me here?" She continued.

"It's not like you had a choice, you're just trying to survive. Just like us, which is why you have to stick by your squad." The captain tried to convince.

"Did you hit your head?" She asked and she circled around him to see if he had gotten any injuries.

"Stop that." He grabbed Kaya's arm and forced he to look at him. "Granted, I haven't known you for too long, but it's long enough to know that you're not a monster. You've saved scouts countless times, you've slaughtered titans, hell, I've even seen you save a little girl from carnage. Stop acting like you don't deserve my upmost respect."

The ghoul smirked and began to laugh. "What, is that your 4th speech today?" She joked. "Jeez, I don't even know what to say. This whole days been shitty, we lost Eren and Historia, we lost Hange's squad, we had to kill a bunch of people, we had to watch as we convinced teenagers to kill people, we had to torture someone while the same teenagers were just above us and could probably hear his screams, and finally, this just happened." She opened her arms, motioning around her. "I don't even know why the hell I'm laughing, the situation isn't funny at all." She struggled to say between her laughs.

Kaya swore she saw the caption show a small smile before he began talking again. "So, are you gonna help us get back Eren and Historia?" He asked.

"Sure. But can we keep this a secret until I find a way to explain to the rest of the squad?" The ghoul answered once her laughs died down.

"Yeah, but I need to ask one last question before we wrap this up." He added, changing the mood of the situation once again.

"How've I been eating, or rather who've I been eating." She guessed his question. Levi nodded. "I haven't killed anyone if that's what you're asking. I only eat people who are already dead. At least, that's what I've been doing with the scouts. Underground, I mostly went after criminals, the worst of the worst."

"So really, you're not a danger at all." He stated.

"Depends if you piss me off." She joked. "But I am glad I don't have to hide it from you." She began, realising her words may be taken differently. "You know, because you're my captain and all." She rephrased.

Authors note :::: I ended up rewriting this bit because it felt too explainy instead of emotional. Ya know?