Chapter 40

Today was a big day for the surviving scouts, each of them set to receive a medal of honour from queen Historia herself. However, Kaya wasn't too thrilled about meeting the higher ups of other regiments again so soon. The last time they met, it had been clear they were judging the scouts because of their decision on who to revive. Of course, there were bigger matters to be dealt with during the last meeting, so nothing was said, this time was surly going to be different. The ghoul wasn't looking forward to the new change, Levi would be ridiculed for reviving Armin, and Armin would be ridiculed for being the new colossal titan.

Kaya placed on her green coat, wearing the wings of freedom with pride before leaving to meet with the others. Unfortunately, they weren't as efficient as her when it came to schedules, leaving her alone with the commander.

"Lieutenant." They greeted, Kaya finally understood why Levi liked being addressed as captain, it gave her a strong sense of control.

"Commander." She acknowledged, nodding her head. However, she was internally panicking because now there was no escape from Hange, and no excuse she could muster up.

"So, are you finally gonna answer my questions, you can't avoid them this time. After all, we are best friends." Hange leaned across the table, looking the ghoul in the eyes to mock her situation.

"Fine, I'll answer some questions, but if you go in the wrong direction with this," Kaya paused, thinking of an appropriate threat. "Then I'll beat you, with this spoon." She proclaimed, holding her teaspoon.

"Interesting." The commander replied before getting to the point. "What's the deal with you and Levi?" They began.

The ghoul scowled, but answered regardless. "To be completely honest, I have no idea." She admitted. "It just happened and we haven't really talked about it."

"Have you tried talking with him?" Hange pressed.

"Well, no." The lieutenant said. "But I like the way things are, I think." She added. "It's confusing."

"Well, we have plenty of time." Hange initiated, pondering what Kaya found so bewildering.

The ghoul groaned, she didn't know the way she felt, and certainly didn't know how to explain it to her commander. But perhaps they'd be able to give her the advice she needed. "Hange, he just lost Erwin, and it's only been a few months since the squad... I don't know if it's the right time." She explained.

"That's bullshit." Hange claimed, shocking Kaya through the turn in their tone. "You know Levi, he's never been the kind of guy to openly reveal his feelings. So if he kisses you, or shows you any kind of emotion, you better believe it's important to him."

At those words, Kaya began to mentally scold herself. How could she have been so stupid? Of course he was going to be closed off, he always had been. However, she was thankful that Hange, a person who'd known Levi for years, was able to open the ghouls eyes. Maybe talking to the commander wasn't such a bad idea after all.

"Ugh, I'm such an idiot." Kaya stated, Hange merely giggled at her realisation.

"I take it you're new to this?" They laughed.

"Well, I suppose I have been with a few people, but nothing that I wanted to last long." She explained, thinking back to her days in the underground. "Whatever, so what's the plan for the ceremony?"

"No,no, don't change the subject after that. I want to hear all about how much you and Levi love each other." Hange teased the ghoul.

"Is it possible to sharpen a spoon?" Kaya questioned, holding her teaspoon in an aggressive manner.

Just in time to save Hange from assault, Levi and Armin entered the dining room of scouts headquarters. Pausing the conversation between the commander and lieutenant. Armin immediately saluted, but Hange soon dismissed him, where as the captain looked more concerned that the ghoul was holding the round end of a spoon towards Hange's face. He didn't blame her, he also found Hange annoying at times, but he was curious to find out what could've provoked the ghoul to this extent.

"We interrupting something?" He asked.

Kaya glared at Hange, begging the scientist to keep their mouth shut. Unfortunately, Hange wasn't as cooperative as the ghoul had hoped. "Levi, we were just talking about you." Hange smiled, Levi squinted his eyes in confusion. "Kaya was just telling me how much she-"

Just then, Kaya cut Hange's words short. In a spur of the moment decision, she threw her spoon to the side of their head, making it land into the wooden wall behind them like a dart. "Oops, my finger slipped." Kaya claimed, still maintaining her glare towards Hange.

"The others will be arriving shortly, they're just helping Sasha." Armin said, trying to break the tension, all while Kaya mouthed the word 'traitor' to her commander. Though, she was glad that the spoon had stopped Hange from spilling any secrets to Armin.

"We're here." Mikasa stated as she stood by Sasha in precaution.

"Great, we wouldn't want to keep anyone waiting." Hange slapped their knees and stood from their seat.

Everyone nodded and rode their horses to the palace, Connie allowed Sasha to ride with him. In spite of their slight urgency, Levi was still curious as to what happened with Hange, he didn't miss the opportunity to confront Kaya when the younger scouts rode ahead.

"Kaya." He signalled and slowed down his horse slightly. The ghoul followed his actions, tilting her head in anticipation. "You gonna explain what you were talking about with Hange? And why exactly you reacted the way you did?" He interrogated.

Kaya paused for her answer, she didn't want a topic of importance to be discussed on a casual horse ride to the palace, so she thought of a better idea. "I'll explain tonight." She suggested. "Should we meet on the rooftop, like old times?" Kaya asked.

"Fine, but I don't want to miss the sunset." The captain agreed.

"Right."