Chapter 46

"Hey, I think it's time I shed a little light on what's about to happen." Kaya said to her squad, living up to her word and telling them why they now needed to know.

"Please do, no one's telling us shit." Taylor replied.

"First of all, I'm not human. I'm not a titan either. So when you see me out on the field, don't be alarmed if you see anything abnormal. It's simply part of the plan." The ghoul spoke. The details were minimalistic and she didn't tell them the catch that came with the power she possessed. However, they still displayed endless questions.

"Huh." Jade was first to speak.

The ghoul simply activated her ghoul eyes, ignoring whatever anyone else had to say. "So Hange, how we planning to trap the cart and jaw?" She then asked.

"You can't just change the subject after that!" Tessa yelled. "What the hell do you mean? You're not human?" She added.

"I'm going to spare the details, but for now, all you need to know is that I can do this." Kaya activated her Kagune, scaring the girls slightly. "And this." She continued before attempting to stab her own hand with her blade, it didn't even leave a scratch. "I'll explain more after the mission. Please, just trust me."

The girls were wary of Kaya, sure, they'd known her for a year but they weren't prepared for a subject like this to come up. "I trust you." Sally whispered, Kaya heard and sent a grateful nod towards the blonde.

"Fine, I guess I don't have a choice but to trust you. We're friends, right?" Taylor added, no one was expecting the usually tough squad member to be so understanding.

"Me too." Jade spoke.

"Same here." Said Tessa.

"Thanks, I appreciate it." The ghoul responded before Hange re-entered the room, their face looking more troubled than ever. Then she felt it, the rapid yet excited heart rates of the recruits and newer soldiers. Everyone was excited to murder innocent people, they were all ecstatic and glad that the Eldian 'empire' were retaking what was once theirs. They'd been given the same information as her, so why did their feelings differ?

"Onyankapon says we're close." Hange stated. "Close enough to engage our ODM gear and prepare our sneak attack." They continued.

"Jean, alert the others." Levi commanded his squad, who quickly obeyed and rushed into the other room.

"Ladies, I'm leaving Tessa in charge. You're to focus only on the Marleyan soldiers, do not engage the warriors. Understood?" Kaya instructed, looking at her group. Taylor, was a little angry that she wasn't granted control, but she soon accepted the fact. "Remember our training." The ghoul quickly added as the four made their way to the back of the airship.

Now, it was only Levi, Hange and Kaya in the smaller section of the ship, each of them looked as worried as the other. "This goes without saying, but I want everyone to come back alive. No sacrifices." He eyed Kaya, referring to some of her past mistakes.

"Well, don't get yourself too worried. We've already been through the worst of it, what's a few incompetent men with guns?" The lieutenant smirked, getting a little too cocky.

"When you put it like that, it makes it seem as though we can accomplish anything. I'll be staying on the ship, you two better get going." Hange spoke, feeling slight guilt for their absence in the battle the scouts were about to face.

The duo complied and walked into the next room, little words were exchanged, but that was understandable given the circumstances. "Scouts, move out!" Levi ordered the group, who each eagerly jumped from the ship until the two higher-ups were left. Kaya gave Levi a quick peck on the cheek before following the scouts towards the ground.

The feeling was exhilarating, and it had been a while since she felt the urgency that came with missions that didn't involve politics. Her now shoulder length, dark hair trailed behind her while she put on a small mask to cover the lower part of her face. Hange had requested that the ghoul was to make an appearance, and even though Kaya hated that side of her, she'd waited a long time for a live meal, her eyes demonstrating her hunger as they glowed with red.

When she neared the ground, Kaya followed the troops towards the chaos Eren had caused, and the ghoul was suddenly aware of the true monster he'd became. The sweet smell of blood invaded her senses, along with screams of children and people who had probably made the mistake of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was gruesome. It was grotesque. However, she'd experienced the same feeling, four years ago, courtesy of Annie Leonhardt.

As Kaya drew closer, she heard the voice of a titan, it's gruffness was undeniable along with its volume. "Before you die, you may have your final words." It spoke.

"It's time, Mikasa." Replied another, presumably Eren.

Just as said, a red scarf gripped tightly to its wearer as she swung into battle, thunder-spears at the ready. The noise was unbearable for the ghoul, but she managed to keep her composure, preparing herself for her end of the bargain. More shots were fired from behind the ghoul, and she witnessed her squad in action as they massacred the Marleyan soldiers. It wasn't a term Kaya often liked to use, but there was no other way to describe it, the Marleyans didn't stand a chance.

Just then, the free time the ghoul was burdened with came to an end as she heard someone calling for backup. Surely Eren could last two minutes without her help. So the ghoul activated her kagune and used her ODM gear to travel onto a nearby rooftop, the Marleyans thought they had an advantage, clearly they mistook how much pain they'd caused Eldians.

With little movement, she reached the rooftop and was greeted by shrieks and insults. "It's a ghoul!" One yelled.

"Stay back you man-eating bitch!" Another said before attempting to shoot her down.

"How original of you." Kaya smiled as she drove one of her spikes into a soldier. The others were quickly taken out by her guns and she shielded her self from fire using the dead body still attached to her kagune. "Don't mind if I do." She then said to herself, beginning to have a refreshment before getting back into action.

When Kaya arrived back, she was met with two titans, battling once again. She was unsure of how the events managed to rewind, however, she was just glad that Eren wasn't losing. He held a crystallised woman high above his head and looked at it intently before the ghouls senses caught onto something familiar.

"Shit." She cursed as she remembered her job. Dealing with the jaw or cart. Unfortunately, fate decided which she was about to fight when the jaw titan gripped onto Eren's head and shoulder, preparing to bite onto his nape. Kaya instantly shot her hooks through its opened mouth and released her gas to get there in time. Once the timing was right, the used two of her spikes to hold the jaws mouth open, digging them both into the roof and floor.

Multiple screams were heard from outside the titans mouth, and the jaw looked slightly confused as to why he was struggling to complete such a simple task. That's when Kaya decided her kagune were under enough pressure and used her third and final spike to slice its muscles along its jaw, giving her a second to relax.

"Sorry I'm late."