Chapter 59

That was the last truly happy memory Kaya could muster up before the truth set in

That was the last truly happy memory Kaya could muster up before the truth set in. Both her and Levi were happy, and that's all she really wanted. However, she knew none of them would be happy anymore, especially with both willing to die for the cause, saving humanity. In a way, they were fulfilling Erwin's mission from years ago, it brought back sides to them that they wished they could forget.

It was the break of dawn, and some of the group was already awake, likely having not slept at all. Kaya awoke a few hours ago, when she first heard the birds start chirping.

"You awake?" She heard Levi ask, though he didn't look awake himself. His eyes were still closed and he hadn't made any effort to look towards her.

"Now how would I answer that if I weren't?" Kaya tried to joke, though there was no looking on the bright side in a situation like this.

"I forget how angry you get when you haven't had enough sleep." The captain retorted, not finding her funny.

"It's mainly because someone keeps waking me up at untimely hours." She quirked a brow, emphasis on the 'someone'.

"Remember when you tore your own door off because my knocking was 'too loud'?"

Kaya tried not to laugh, remembering how embarrassing that was and how she somehow managed to keep her secret for a few more weeks after that incident. However, she was thankful that Levi was trying to cheer her up, even if it was all in vain.

"Ha, ha." She rolled her eyes. "You constantly kicked me to wake up for two whole months. You know how annoying that was?"

"Well, it all worked out. I think you enjoyed seeing me as soon as you woke up. Didn't you?" Levi teased. Kaya would have made a witty comeback if it wasn't true. Yet, even with his good looks, the kicking was annoying.

"Well, I guess it got my heart racing?" Kaya agreed. "Anyways, we should be heading off soon. I think I'm going to check on Jean."

Jean Kirstien wasn't always her favourite scout, but he certainly beat all the Yeagerists when it came to skill and personality. Even if he had an ego the size of the colossal titan, he was a good comrade. It was her duty as both his Lieutenant and his friend, to make sure he was okay.

So, she followed his scent and head him breathing deeply, as though trying to calm himself. Which could only mean her suspicions were correct, he'd been crying.

"Jean." She initiated conversation, making her presence known. Instantly, he wiped his eyes and stood tall, seeing her as his superior. "At ease, I'm here as your friend, not your lieutenant." Kaya informed.

"Kaya? You're the last person I expected to see." Jean returned.

"Would you rather have general Magath coming to comfort you?" The ghoul questioned, and Jean shook his head. "You were crying, right?"

"No." He protested. "I wasn't."

"You don't have to talk about it if you really don't want to. But, I think it's best if you got whatever you're feeling off your chest." Kaya tried to encourage him, and for reasons unknown, he felt comfortable around the woman. As though she knew exactly what he was going through.

"How did you just get over it?" He asked, causing the ghoul to tilt her head in confusion. "Annie killed all your friends, your whole squad. So why did you just forgive her and act as though nothing happened? I saw your face four years ago, you were willing to die if it meant getting revenge. So why?"

He was right. When Annie first submerged herself inside her crystal, Kaya was willing to lose it all, anything to make sure she payed for killing her squad. Petra, Oluo, Gunther, Eld. They were all dead because of Annie. The only thing that cleared her image of Annie was the truth. Everything they'd learned about Marley helped her understand why she did it. That's what brought closure.

"I found out why she did it. Guess I felt sorry for her, so much that I forgave her without an apology." Kaya answered truthfully. "But, no matter what I do, I can still see their faces whenever I look at her. They must have been terrified." Her voice shook, she didn't want to image the situation any further.

"I can still see Marco, too." Jean sympathised. "Everywhere I go, he's watching me, telling me what to do. I wouldn't have even considered coming here if it wasn't for him."

Kaya let loose a sad laugh. "Looks like we're both desperate." She placed a hand on his shoulder. "You don't have to forgive him, just tolerate him until we've saved the world." She recommended. "Shit, that sounded so cringy."

"But what about Gabi and Falco? They killed Sasha." He asked a similar question, the man had lost too many friends and had far too many enemies.

"I don't know." Kaya replied. "On one hand, they killed your friend. But they're also just kids, brainwashed by the Marleyans. We also did invade Liberio and kill their friends and comrades. This shits far too complicated." She began to massage her temples.

"What would you do?" Jean wondered, but the ghoul didn't think her decisions were ones to look up to.

"I can't choose for you." The Lieutenant declined his offer and began to leave the secluded part of the forest. "But whatever you plan on doing, you should hurry, we're leaving soon."

With that, the two scouts walked back to camp, Jean didn't look as disheartened as before, maybe experiencing some type of closure. But, he was still upset, that much was obvious, regardless of how hard he tried to mask it. Suddenly, he knelt down beside the two warrior candidates, placing his hand on Gabi's shoulder before lightly shaking her.

"Wake up." He spoke, causing the brunette to sit up slightly. "We need to get moving."

"Wait? You're really going to help us?" Gabi questioned.

"Of course." Jean answered before walking away towards Reiner. "Get your mopey ass up, Reiner." He roughly grabbed the titans shoulders and violently shook him. "Your face fixed itself hours ago." The change in his introductions was clear.

But at least they were acting as a team once again. Even if grudges were still present.