Chapter 49

As soon as the airship landed back in Paradis, Kaya and Levi were given new orders. Guard Zeke Yeager. Normally, Kaya wouldn't mind, but given that one of her close friends had recently died, she'd rather spend her time going to the funeral instead of babysitting a monkey. Given the circumstances, Levi wasn't too pleased with the orders either, he hated Zeke and his reasoning was understandable. However, the two scouts still had a job to do, so they packed a few bags and got into a carriage, Zeke sat opposite them with his hands tied together.

"It's nice to see you again." Zeke said, his sarcasm would've been clearer if he'd hadn't been isolated for a few hours.

"Well, I'd rather be gauging my own eyes out with a fork than here with you." Kaya smiled sarcastically, soon releasing her smile and continuing to glare at the titan shifter.

Zeke didn't reply to Kaya's comment, he knew that she hated him but it was the least of his worries, so he decided to engage a new topic. "How interesting, they're calling it a victory. Ignorance is scary but delusions even worse." He stated after taking a quick glance from the carriages window.

"I'm going to kill you and ship your corpse back to Marley, with a note about your little plot. Should spell the end for your grandparents." Levi informed, however his remark was a more serious note. "That said, if this secret plan of yours isn't bullshit, we can wait and chop you up once it's finished. I don't care much either way."

"Well I appreciate your willingness to accommodate, but hey, I do get to meet Eren soon, don't I?" The blonde tried to bargain.

"There's no rush, we've prepared a nice little place for you to stay in. A beautiful hotel to relax at." The captain joked, glancing to his side to see the ghouls equal expression.

"The price is hefty though, but what else are we to expect from such a unique site." Kaya added. The carriage soon turning to an awkward silence, the only noise was coming from the horses hooves hitting the pavement.

"So..." Zeke began. "Could I ask you, to stop glaring?"

Kaya sighed, still maintaining her judgemental look upon Zeke. "Take my lowest priority, and put that beneath it." The ghoul said, hoping he understood how little they cared about his happiness.

Soon enough, after a long carriage ride of silence, they arrived at their destination, a forest. It was far away from the walls and was best for using ODM gear in, not to mention Zeke would struggle to transform in such a cramped place.

"This, is my hotel?" Zeke said, clearly disappointed and a little angered by the way the scouts had built up his hopes.

"What better lodging could there be? It's a giant forest, difficult to move through and devoid of boulders." The captain answered.

"Looks like a fine place for using ODM gear too." He observed. "Hey, quick question. This natural wonder, would you mind letting me show it to Gabi and Falco?" He then asked.

"Whether they get to see the sights or not, depends on you." Levi spoke.

"Though I do envy the distance between you and them." The ghoul muttered, then hearing other hooves hit the ground and assuming their supplies had arrived, along with a set of trusted soldiers. "Bring the horses into the forest, we have a camp set up towards the centre." She said lowly, so Zeke couldn't find their position. It was vital for the scouts that they were the ones in control, the beast titan couldn't be allowed to take advantage of them.

Within no time, each of them managed to reach the camp. It wasn't anything too special, but after living in the underground most of her life, Kaya couldn't complain. There were a few tents, boxes of supplies and a small fire set up, which the titan shifter sat beside and moved himself from the scouts focus of attention as they unpacked their carts.

"Lieutenant, this is labelled as yours." Tessa alerted the ghoul, who could already assume what the package contained.

"What's in it?" Taylor asked, taking the box from Tessa and lightly shaking it.

"Guess I lost my privacy back in the underground." Kaya stated after snatching the box from Taylor. Inhaling the scent, Kaya could decipher the mixture of tea and flesh combined into one, she used to drink the formula when she first joined the scouts, however, after running out, Hange made it one of her projects to remake the substance, finally allowing Kaya to live a somewhat normal life. In this situation, it was ideal.

"Seriously? You're not even gonna open it?" Taylor rolled her eyes.

"We both know you'd sneak a peak at what's inside." Kaya retorted and put the box in her tent.

"I think I've found something interesting!" Sally yelled, gaining the attention of the other soldiers, along with her superiors who both eagerly made their way towards the boxes she'd discovered. Unfortunately, none of them found it's contents as interesting as the others.

"Wine? Why would we bring wine on a mission?" Levi questioned.

"Please Captain." A soldier reasoned. "This is rare Marleyan wine, the Mps have been hoarding most of it for themselves."

"Yeah, don't we deserve a treat too?"

"Come on Lieutenant, please you're our only hope." Sally added.

"Leave me out of it." Kaya answered. Personally, she didn't care for the wine, it's not as though she could drink it anyways. So she decided to leave the decision for someone who'd likely tasted wine before, that way, Levi could decide if it was really worth the risk.

"We've got tea." The captain countered.

"Captain!" The soldiers frowned, each of them reaching the grab the bottle he'd held above his head, unfortunately it wasn't much of a challenge for the others to reach.

"Give me a break." He scowled. "Fine, bring it." Levi gave in, causing most scouts to grab a mug and pour the red liquid in.

The ghoul looked around to see if her own squad were indulging in the norms, she managed to spot both Jade and Tessa, eager to get a taste of the wine many people spoke of. However, when she looked for the rest of her squad, they were absent from the crowd. Worried, Kaya used her enhanced sense of smell to find Taylor.

"Taylor." She greeted the girl.

"Huh, what do you want." The brunette asked and Kaya quirked a brow. "Please, don't tell me you're worried about me." She scoffed. "Besides, you're not drinking either, all I've ever seen you have is tea."

"That may be true, but there's a reason for that. And I assume there's a reason your isolating yourself." Kaya inquired.

"I'm only telling you this because you were the person who saved me. So don't go spreading this shit with anyone else, okay?" Taylor answered harshly, but the ghoul was grateful for her openness nonetheless. "The last time I even touched that stuff, I got kidnapped. I'm sure you can imagine the rest."

"Can't say I know how you're feeling, that said, you are my friend, do what makes you comfortable." The ghoul advised before turning and bumping into Sally. "Huh?"

"Sorry for eavesdropping, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for you." The blonde began. "So I'm not going to drink any wine either, my way of supporting you." She smiled. At first, Kaya was confused, Sally had been the one to make the announcement about the wine, yet here she was, distancing herself from it.

"Don't pity me." Taylor shoved past the girls and went to unload the other boxes.

"Why must everything be such a chore." The ghoul sighed, preparing herself to spend an unknown amount of time trapped in the wilderness with both her argumentative squad and Zeke.