Chapter 62

"Shit." Kaya cursed as she watched the thunder spears spiral towards her, she couldn't let them hit her, if they did, she'd be a goner. Instead, the ghoul stopped her ODM gear releasing gas and attached her hooks to the floor, attacking from afar was risky, she needed to get closer.

So, once the ghoul avoided the bombardment, she swung through alleyways and looked for an opening. "My best shot is a sneak attack, then I'll blow up the thunder spears. Doesn't sound too complicated." She thought aloud, trying to convince herself that the task ahead was simple, but regardless, she knew it wasn't.

After circling the building, Kaya decided that she couldn't stall any longer and ran up the wall of the supply building; her enemy noticed her instantly. However, due to the close proximity, they were hesitant to use the thunder spears against her, this gave her a brief advantage. As soon as she landed on the building, she drove her kagune into three Yeagerists, using them to propel herself forwards and kick another from the roof. Suddenly, she saw amber flashes bouncing off her skin, they didn't bother her, but were certainly distracting. Annoyed, she dragged the soldiers her kagune had previously pieced back to her and stole their thunder spears. As much as the weapons could harm her, they were a good asset to have.

"Kaya wait! You don't have to do this!" A familiar voice yelled, it was Ross, a very close friend of Sally's, only now, she knew why. "We can talk about this, where's Sally?" He asked.

"Sally's dead." Kaya answered, ignoring the bullets pounding against her. "I killed her, would you like to join her?"

"You bitch!" Ross shouted across the roof, then sending a thunder spear in her direction. But Kaya didn't have time to personally end his life, she had another mission, so instead of counter attacking, she dived out of the way. Next, her eyes caught sight of a few crates of thunder spears, her target.

All it took was the thrust of her arm, for one single explosive to travel through the air and land in the crate. Boom! Time to run.

"Have a nice day." She smirked then aimed her hooks away from the dynamite, soon escaping without a scratch.

However, the situation elsewhere was far from as successful as her mission. Both the Armoured and Female titans were on the brink of death, the thunder spears had gotten to them too quickly. Spotting Hange and Mikasa nearby, Kaya flew towards them, Hange always had a plan.

"Hange, I did it. The only thunder spears in circulation are the ones that were taken prior to that explosion." Kaya explained.

"Good, hopefully they'll run out of them soon, it doesn't look like we're going to hold up much longer." The commander praised, then all heads turned to the black smoke arising in the hills. "Reinforcements! Dammit, we're screwed if we don't do anything about them. And be killed along with most of humanity."

"I'll do it, I still have a few thun-" Kaya's sentence was cut short when the train erupted in an echo of metal clashing together and amber flames rising from it. Someone had saved them. "The hell?"

"There's no time to ask questions, we need to use this to our advantage while we still have the chance." Hange shut down any questions the girls had. Just then, a loud bang averted their gazes, slightly hurting Kaya's ears, but she'd gotten used to loud noises over the years. So she activated her eyes and looked beyond the smoke, but what she saw shocked her.

Annie and Reiner's heads were on the floor, both titan bodies sat aimlessly while they waited for help, anyone who would save them. Instinctively, Kaya jumped into battle and shot her hooks into one of the Yeagerists, then she tossed it body towards the others, knocking them out of the sky. Next, she heard a roar from the steam, Connie was there, massacring anyone attacking Reiner, which left Annie as her responsibility.

Kaya sliced down her enemies, one by one, switching between her own power and her ODM gear, until another spontaneous explosion occurred. It was becoming annoying, even if most of the explosions benefitted her, they still hurt. However, Kaya never expected to see the new jaw titan fighting so soon and viciously. It took Eren five years before his first transformation, Falco only needed a day.

"What the hell is that!?" A Yeagerist yelled.

"Ignore it! Kill the ghoul!"

"Ha." Kaya smiled. "As if." Then, she swirled around midair, her shin colliding with one of their necks so quickly and sharply, that their head was knocked clean from their shoulders. Soon after turning around, she grabbed the other with her kagune and squeezed until a few cracks were heard.

"Cmon! They're out of formation, so now's our chance!" Jean ordered, but while the others lessened the enemy, Kaya was stuck defending the titans from thunder spears, occasionally, she had to take the impact and quickly heal.

"Don't worry teen titans, I ain't going anywhere." She reassured and wrapped her kagune around a thunder spear, then spinning and sending it back. In all fairness, she didn't expect that to work, but it was a great tactic to have, she only wished she'd thought of it sooner. Feeling slightly tired, she licked her blades, clinging onto some of the energy she received when she fed, she'd have to eat soon, before they left the dock.

"Kaya!" Annie screamed in agony, upon hearing her name, she quickly faced Annie to see the predicament she was in. Her titan wasn't healing fast, and to top it off, a soldier managed to sneak onto her shoulder, grabbing his thunder spear from its holder.

But for some reason, Kaya froze. She didn't want to, if anything, she wanted to save Annie, it was their best way to save humanity. However, something inside her forced her to freeze, instead of focusing her attention into saving Annie, her mind wandered to the muscular blonde titan she was hiding in. Which ultimately led her to dwell on the last time she'd seen the monster, the time she lost her friends.

Reiner had caught wind of the situation, though, he too, was immobilised from the fight. "Annie!" He yelled, snapping Kaya awake.

Suddenly, she moved. Heart pounding, she jumped from Reiners shoulder and onto Annies, soon instantly driving her kagune into her opponent's shoulder and flinging him and his thunder spear away. "I-" She began to formulate an apology, but was cut off when she heard another bang and saw another cloud of dust. "Shit." She cursed when she saw Pieck's titan being crushed by the jaw.

The jaw titan was her responsibility, the order may have been months old, but she still intended to stick to them. So she darted towards the two titans and landed on Falco's back. "Pieck! Hold him still!" Magath shouted, but Kaya beat him to the target and carved around the boy, using her enhanced senses to recognise the whereabouts of the body. Once her task was completed, she placed Falco in Magath's care and looked at Hange with a knowing expression.

Hange knew the expression all too well. It was Kaya's, 'I'll be right back, don't question it' face, but the commander knew that it really meant she was going to feed. Given their situation, they needed Kaya in top form, plus, Levi would give everyone grief if he found out she was starving herself again. So Hange simply nodded and Kaya walked away.

But even with the distance and distraction, the ghoul could hear the commotion. "She was going to stand there and watch me die! I thought it was revenge, she's probably owed it." Annie stated to her comrades.

"Speaking of, where is she now? Is she on the boat? We ought to be leaving soon." Connie looked around, seeing a figure walk back towards them with redder lips than before. Everyone knew, but who were they to question it? Kaya didn't have a choice.

"I froze." She confirmed Annies theory. "But it wasn't revenge." Kaya countered. "I lied when I said I'd gotten over what happened last time I saw the female titan. But it doesn't matter, because it won't happen again. Got it?"

And with that, she boarded the boat.