Chapter 52

Both girls tried to suppress their anger as they neared the stream, each of them furious at Zeke for turning their comrades into titans. However, Kaya more so. She'd been forced to kill not only her soldiers, but her friends, and she did it without shedding a single tear.

"Kaya." Levi's eyes widened and he jogged towards the ghoul, hugging her with much more enthusiasm than her.

"I found my squad, Taylor's all that's left." She explained, to which Levi tightened the hug.

"It's ok. We've captured Zeke, he no longer has an ace up his sleeve. No one else has to die." The captain tried to comfort.

Unfortunately, Kaya didn't feel the same, she was still hooked on the feeling that she was being watched, the feeling she was in danger. There was always the excuse that she was overthinking the situation but something didn't sit right with her.

"Can we get out of here, I've got a bad feeling about this." She turned around, making sure, there wasn't a figure watching her.

"Cmon, I found a wagon, we can make our way to somewhere more secure once we've packed essentials." He spoke. "Did you manage to savour any of your tea?" He then asked.

Kaya shook her head. "My tent was completely destroyed by the transformations." She sighed.

Just then, a loud bang was heard from the forest. A gunshot. Once again, Kaya's gut feeling was right, but it wasn't something she was proud of in any way. With frustration, the two turned around to see Taylor, with blood seeping through her uniform.

Immediately, Kaya ran to Taylor, catching her before she fell. "Kaya?" The brunette said from within her arms.

"I'm here, it's ok. W-we can fix this, don't worry." She stuttered, praying that her comforting words were true. Unfortunately, they weren't, the blood was coming from the centre of her chest, it was all too clear.

"I don't wanna die." The brunette cried, making the ghoul tear up, though her tears were red.

It was inevitable. Taylor's heart rate was significantly decreasing and the ghoul was surprised to know that she'd lasted so long, but she knew Taylor would never go down within a fight, it suited her. "It's ok, it's ok, you hear me." Trying to convince herself, the ghoul spoke.

Until Taylor's fight was finally over.

Utter silence, that's all the ghoul could hear until a familiar click sounded again. "Get down!" She yelled to Levi before diving onto him and taking cover behind the wagon. "Stay here." Kaya ordered Levi, but he knew better than to let her walk into open fire.

"I don't take orders from you." He retorted.

"Dammit, do you trust me?" She asked.

"Fine, I trust you." He answered and allowed Kaya to walk from her hiding spot to see who was firing at them.

Although, when she did, Kaya was met with the eyes of a traitor. "Sally?" She muttered, knowing she was right.

"Hey there Lieutenant, gotta say, I didn't think you'd make it out of that, let alone kill your comrades." The blonde snickered, guns still clenched in her hands.

"What did you do?" Kaya said with confusion.

"Why don't we have a quick chat, I can always shoot you after." Sally smiled and jumped down from her branch. "Let's see. What did I do?" She paused, remembering the events she'd caused. "Well, I relayed information to Zeke, I tried to convince everyone to drink the wine, and I escaped before things went to shit. Oh, and don't forget Taylor." The girl smiled.

"Sally, you realise I have to kill you." Kaya stated. "You killed everyone, I can't let you live for that."

"You may be strong but even you can't dodge a bullet. This is goodbye Lieutenant, don't worry, your boyfriend will be joining you shortly." Sally aimed her guns towards Kaya, but the ghoul didn't bother dodging. She wouldn't die that easily.

Bang! Sally fired, the bullet smashed against the ghouls skin, but Kaya only walked towards Sally. The girl kept shooting until the ghoul drew too close and put her palm against the front of the gun.

"I don't need to dodge." With a tone full of revenge, Kaya then took out her kagune and looped it over both their heads, stabbing Sally in the back, without her taking notice until the move had already been made.

"Bitch." The blonde managed to choke out before falling to the ground.

Full of sorrow, the ghoul stood still for a moment, contemplating her decisions and actions. She didn't regret killing Sally, after all, she had it coming. However, the ghoul wondered if things would have been different if she was naïve enough to fall for her lies.

"You can come out now. She's dead." Kaya said, without taking her eyes off the body.

"Kaya..." The captains voice trailed, there was nothing he could say to cheer her up, so he resorted to actions. Slowly, he wrapped his arms around the ghoul, who soon sank into his touch and let her emotions take over. Red tears spilled from her eyes and her cries made themselves known to anyone passing by. It was all too much for her. "I had a squad once, I don't think I've ever told you about them." The captain began, attempting to avert the ghouls focus from the previous events. "You remember Isabel and Farlan? We were all in a squad together, our first time outside of the walls, but it didn't last long. They were eaten, because I left them. That said, I let my anger take over, sliced that titan to shreds and blamed Erwin for it for a while. But, looking back at it, it was no one's fault. The titan didn't have a choice, I trusted them, they trusted themselves, it wasn't their fault. And all this, isn't your fault. Okay?" Levi asked after speaking of his past, something Kaya didn't often hear.

"This isn't the same." Kaya shook her head. "I killed my comrades, my squad, my friends. That was all me."

"No, that was Zeke, there wasn't anything else you could do. They were already gone." Levi argued. "They were in pain."

"Where is he?" Kaya asked after a moment of pause, but Levi could tell that there was the possibility of her doing something reckless.

"Secured." The captain gave a one word answer, to which the ghoul looked towards the wagon. "Don't. If he dies then everything we sacrificed goes to waste."

"I won't kill him, that'd be too kind. Though, I do want him to suffer." Kaya said,  beginning to break away from the hug and get back to her feet. "It's not safe here. We should go."

"I have Zeke tied to a thunder spear, if he tries to escape, he dies." Levi followed the new topic and took the cover from Zeke's head.

"And you're putting our fate on his sanity?" Kaya quirked a brow. "Well, okay." She gave up trying to argue, it was far too late for the spear to be removed.

Levi chose to ignore her comment, she was somewhat correct, but Zeke didn't seem the type to gamble his life away, not after losing his original plan. So he set the horses away and the two survivors sat down, finally catching a break while Zeke's body regenerated.