Chapter 61

Thinking about the mission ahead of her, Kaya was slightly worried. It was an operation of stealth, one wrong move, and the Yeagerists would blow up any chance they had of stopping Eren. So both Kaya and Mikasa hid nearby to the building holding the Azumabito's hostage, waiting to see if they were required to strike an attack.

"Kaya." Mikasa began, wanting to ask a few questions before they were needed. "Do you think Eren... can come back from this?"

The question was expected, but Kaya had hoped that she wouldn't be on the receiving end, because in truth, she had no idea.

"Who knows?" The ghoul answered. "He's killed so many innocent people already and is in full control of his own actions. I've lost friends because of this, my squad were turned into titans, I had to kill them. Honestly, even if we do manage to save Eren, I'll never forgive him. And I don't believe he'll be able to forgive himself." She continued. "What about you? You know him better than any of us, so what do you think?"

"I thought I did know him. Apparently not." Mikasa looked away, going to grab her scarf, only to realise it was no longer there.

"Hey." Kaya took her hand. "It's not your fault, none of this is." She sent a reassuring half smile. Possibly hoping that it would be enough to convince her friend that she wasn't scared, too.

Suddenly, three gunshots echoed throughout the port and into the ears of the two assassins. "Come on." Kaya ordered, their plan was ruined, all it took was for someone to pull the trigger. Unfortunately, the scouts could no longer avoid killing their own comrades.

Simultaneously, both girls burst through opposite sides of the room, large crashes of glass making their presence known, but it didn't matter, they were better than them in every aspect. The ghoul activated her kagune, killing three soldiers, then, she balanced on one of her spikes before spinning and kicking a few of the other Yeagerists.

"Kiyomi, run!" Mikasa yelled to the Azumabito leader, who was strongly holding Floch hostage. However, as soon as she let go, Floch pointed one of his guns to the window, the other was lingering on Kiyomi.

"Get down!" Kaya darted in front of the woman, shielding her from a few bullets.

"We're under attack! Kaya, Mikasa, Armin and Connie have switched sides! They're betraying Eldia! Kill them!" Floch demanded once he was free from the Azumabito's grasp.

And just like that, they're plan was ruined, the only thing left for them to do was try to save the flying boat and Azumabito engineers. Bloodshed was inevitable, even for Armin and Connie. "We need to head down! Stay clear of all windows! Hurry!" Kaya instructed and began to motion the hostages out of the rooms while Mikasa led them.

"Pick up the pace! They're going to shoot!" Mikasa rushed them. "To the basement."

The group ran down stairs and turned corners, all while being chased by flames and explosions. Mikasa slowed her pace and ran beside Kaya, checking to see the next move. Suddenly, another explosion followed which managed to shove both the scouts forwards, their fall briefly being stopped by Kaya's kagune.

"It's a fire fight now." She alerted. "The only way through is to wipe out every last Yeagerist."

"Lady Mikasa!" Kiyomi shouted.

"I'll try to intercept the bullets!" Kaya replied and once again darted in front of her allies, moving her kagune and swords every so often to try and block shots. As she was defending, Mikasa dived into action, killing the closest enemy. But before she could kill the others, Hange, Jean and Magath intercepted the kill.

"This way! All of you! We can hunker down in the basement." Magath instructed. "Stay alive, then come with me."

The Azumabito's looked hesitant, but reluctantly agreed and followed the soldiers. Everyone was well aware that they were going to be cornered if they went down, but it was safer to hide than wait like sitting ducks.

"The only way out of here is through the enemy. We'll be overrun as soon as they regroup!" Kiyomi explained.

"We'll be fine." Magath countered. "As long as we're down here, we'll be safe when our reinforcements jump onto the surface."

"What reinforcements?" An engineer asked.

"Have you ever seen one of the nine?" Kaya answered. "Well, we have five of them."

With that, two huge explosions shook to walls. The Female and Armoured Titan's were in the fight. Kaya had to get above ground and help, Annie didn't have any experience with thunder spears, she needed to divert some of the fire.

"We need to cut off their supplies." Kaya said after the explosions. "The thunder spears are a threat to all of us, we need to get rid of them."

"When we were scouting before, I saw them on the roof of a few different buildings." Mikasa added.

"Hange, will you be fine without me?" Kaya questioned, to which the commander nodded.

"We won't be staying too long either, hopefully, while you take out the thunder spears, we'll move everyone onto the boat." Hange answered. "But first, Levi would want me to tell you to be careful, don't be so reckless."

"I'll take that into consideration." Kaya smirked, it was one way of battling through her fear. She'd already faced a close call with Zeke, it wouldn't happen again. "Good luck." She nodded her head, soon zooming out of their sanctuary and back onto the battle field.

When she observed her surroundings, she managed to make out the silhouette of the female titan through the smoke, and her eyes were soon captivated on the it. The last time Kaya had seen it, her friends had died. Even though she said at the campfire that she'd forgiven Annie, she could never forget the way Petra laid against that tree, or the way Eld was in two places at once, the way Gunther hung from his gear, and the blood stained grass beneath Oruo. She could never forget that.

"Stop." She muttered to herself, she couldn't get distracted by the past, people would die if she was careless. Instead, she located the first supply roof, then swiftly moved towards it.

It wasn't as easy as she'd hoped, enemies wanted her dead, meaning she had to dodge the thunder spears and kill a few Yeagerists, but when she drew closer, she realised the challenge ahead. There had to be about 50 of them recuperating on the roof, armed to the teeth with thunder spears. But she could do this, she had to.

"It's her! Fire!" One of the Yeagerists signalled, resulting in an array of weapons being thrown towards her.

"Shit."