Chapter 53

The ride was average. Not good. Not bad. Just average. Yet the people who were sitting inside, were far from it. Kaya had never liked Zeke, the fact he felt he was in charge made her feel sick, mainly because her gut feelings were right. He had been in control, from the beginning, playing them like instruments in his twisted plan. However, now, he lay under a thunder spear, his limbs steaming with his regeneration and his eyes closed. One might even assume he was dead, but the scouts knew otherwise.

"I don't like this." Kaya stated.

"None of us do. We have no idea what's going on inside the walls." The captain replied, not helping the situation.

"Well, obviously I don't like that, but I mean this." She pointed to her prisoner. "I know we can take him in a fight, and I know I agreed to having him restrained at first, but now, I'm rethinking it. Is it really a good idea?"

"You're overthinking the situation, he's trapped, as Erwin would say, he's been bested." Levi reassured. "You need to calm down."

"Overthinking? I've been overthinking the whole time, and I had good reasons to." She shot back. Although she meant what she'd said, Kaya didn't understand the new tone she'd taken, the anger she'd unleashed upon Levi when he was only attempting to take away some of her distress. It was wrong, and she knew it. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell. I'm just on edge." The ghoul quickly apologised.

"You're wasting your energy. He'll pay for what he's done, it's inevitable. So don't give him the satisfaction of seeing you scared, you don't have to be, you're stronger and smarter. Don't think otherwise." Levi advised, however Kaya knew the truth. Deep down, Levi was scared too, it was just hidden under the mask he wore. Every aspect of him contained sediments of his fear, from his heart rate, to the faint smell of sweat, Kaya knew what fear was like far too well.

Tightly, Kaya held onto Levi's hand, giving it a squeeze before Zeke began to stir. It was her own way of telling him that the situation was ok, not only reassuring him, but also herself. She'd never been good with words, only repeating what she'd heard others say to comfort, but Levi knew that, to him, this was enough.

Below the couple, Zeke Yeager groaned, slowly opening his eyes to see the steam flowing from his mutilated body. Cautiously, the scouts' hands disconnected, neither could show any weakness in front of Zeke.

"You awake?" Levi asked, to which Zeke began to move around. "Hey, stop that. No sudden moves, I stuck a thunder spears in your gut and attached a wire wrapped around your neck. Squirm too much and you'll be blown in half at least."

"And who knows, maybe one of us will finally go for the kill, you've given us enough reason already." Kaya threatened, watching as Zeke's eyes trailed across his own body, panic evident.

"I bet you wish you were dead right now. Not that I sympathise. Bastard, you used my comrades like cheap toys. When you planned this, did you think you'd end up here? Sobbing into your own filth." Levi sliced his limbs, again, and again. It had to be done, not only to stop him from going titan, but also to apply as much pain as possible to the monster in front of them.

"But there's one thing you didn't take into account. I'm not human, I'll kill if it benefits me, regardless if they're my comrades or not." She yelled. "Regardless of the guilt." She said quieter, more to herself than anyone else. Even if she wasn't human, she still wanted to cling onto the final shreds of humanity a ghoul could obtain. "Why the hell should I even feel guilty? This is all your fault!"

Screams could be heard for miles on end, Zeke was in anguish, both scouts taking out their anger by slicing his limbs or any other area that wasn't his nape. He deserved this, too many people had died. He had it coming.

"Shut your mouth, I have no choice but to cut you into pieces. If I don't, you'll turn into a titan again." An excuse Levi uttered to the blonde man, knowing he was only partly lying. Reluctantly, Zeke looked towards the only person on board who could possibly help him, Kaya.

"So this is what it's come to? You're begging to me for help." Kaya laughed. "Please, I enjoy this."

Finally, the screams died down, the cutting had stopped and all parties were grateful, even if they were the ones inflicting the damage. "Hey Levi." Zeke coughed. "Where, a-are my ... glasses." He managed to speak.

"Huh? What's it matter? You don't have any need for glasses anymore." The captain replied.

"Come to think of it, I don't think you even need eyes." The ghoul added, slicing her blades over his numbed, dead eyes.

.
.
.

It took another while for Zeke to heal again and regain consciousness, but it left both the Lieutenant and Captain with a good idea of where to go. They'd decided on another forest, good for ODM gear and for Kaya's kagune, but first they needed some more fuel, they'd have to make a pit stop after they'd found a place to camp.

"The only way to save us Eldians, is to put us, out of our misery." Zeke muttered, clearly hazy from his previous state.

"That was your plan?" Levi kept his eyes on the track, guiding the horses in the fight direction. "Mercy killings? Well you're about to die inside a titans stinking mouth, listening to the sound of your body being chewed into tiny pieces."

"It's not as thrilling as it sounds, if you're lucky, you'll die quick. But if you end up like me, you'll have to wait as the stomach acid slowly decomposes your body, feeling yourself quietly slip away, alone." Kaya said lowly, recalling her past experience. However, that didn't mean it was an empty threat. Nor did it mean she was attempting to wrongly scare Zeke's. Everything was the truth.

"I'd say it's a pretty merciful way to kill him, right?" Levi turned to the ghoul. "When you consider the way that he stole our comrades lives."

"I stole nothing, actually, I saved them and the children they would've born. Their deaths saved them from this cruel world." Zeke began to trail off, his words meant nothing to the soldiers, he was insane to believe that with death came peace.

"Looks like his legs are beginning to grow back." Levi unleashed his swords.

"Can we please cut off his tongue this time?" Kaya pleaded, looking upon the twisted face.

"MR KSAVER!" The prisoner shouted, shocking the ghoul with his loud noise. "I HOPE YOU'RE STILL WATCHING!"

It all happened in an instant. The sound of a pin being pulled. The echoes that carried through the rain. And the surge of power to Kaya's feet, pushing her to run towards Levi. Her mind was numb, knowing that this could be her end, but she wrapped her arms around him regardless, pushing her torso against his to make a pitiful attempt of shielding him. Consequently, her sacrifice wouldn't go without injury to herself, ghouls could withstand weapons like knives and guns, but explosions that produced large amounts of both kinetic and thermal energy were dangerous enough to cause possible death.

She knew. Yet her arms still clung to Levi as the blast tossed them like rag dolls into the air, along with their horses, powerless against a trap they never expected to be set off. Below the burning sensations on her back, Kaya could feel her legs in anguish. Currently, they were closest the the explosion and the pain wouldn't cease. Until finally, it did, ever so slightly, the burning was gone in her feet, but now a new pain existed.

Kaya sighed as she finally found a shred of relief amongst the disaster, that was until she saw a familiar shoe fly past her face. It was a black boot, holding a long line of fabric with it, but that wasn't all. The ghoul knew after breathing in the air, her legs were gone.

—————————

Authors note : Bit of a cliff hanger. Also have some questions that I wouldn't mind being answered.

1. I might have a new Aot fanfic up my sleeve, focusing on Hange Zoe's sister (an OC) Dr Rebekah Zoe. She's the opposite of Hange when it comes to personality, but when it comes to genius, she's superior. If I go along with it, it will occur around season 3+. Interested?

2. Halloween special? (I don't mind any results, genuinely.)