Chapter 64

Kaya slept until the boat reached ashore. Although she wasn't tired at all, it was all she could bring herself to do. She couldn't talk to anyone, too worried and filled with regrets from her mistakes, and she certainly couldn't leave Levi's side, not with the condition he was in. So, she slept beside him, making sure to be close in case he needed her.

Eventually, he accidentally nudged her, forcing her to awake from the brief rest. Judging by the look the ghoul saw in his eye, he never intended to wake her, in fact, he looked as though he'd been caught - guilty of something.

"Levi? What's going on?" She asked him, voice croaky from her sobs. "Have we reached land?" The woman rose to her feet, checking outside the window to see the horizon meet something that wasn't the usual blue mass.

"I'm just stretching my legs." Kaya could tell he was lying. For one, he was heavily injured, secondly the slight increase in his heart rate.

"You want to fight, don't you?" She questioned, hearing his heart confirm her suspicion. At first, he didn't answer her, anyone in the right mind would stop him and force him to stay bed-bound for the rest of his days. However, sometimes he forgot that Kaya wasn't exactly an average person.

"I can't sit here while everyone else risks their lives." He shook his head. "I'm still strong. As long as I'm still breathing, I won't let innocent people die. You've got to let me do what I was born to do." He practically begged,

"You think you were born for this?" Kaya wondered, she never expected this from Levi, she didn't know he believed in fate and certainly not destiny. Instead, the statement made her frown, he had so much more worth than he realised, his reason for living was up to him.

"I'm an Ackerman." He stated, as though that justified his point. Shaking her head, Kaya tried to profess her disagreement. "I was born so that I could protect the world, so that I could be immune to the kings powers. I need to be there, because I'm the only one who stands a chance."

It was true, but that didn't change Kaya's opinion. "Being an Ackerman doesn't mean you're the only one who can face Eren." She wanted to convince him, however, when she looked deep into his eyes, she could tell that his decision was set in stone. Nothing she could say or do would change his mind. So, rather than fight him, she would offer her support. "With those injuries, you won't reach your full potential." She informed him, slightly scolding him.

"I ca-"

"So I'll be right by your side. The whole time." She interrupted. "If, for even a second, I think you're in danger, I won't hesitate to drop whatever I'm doing and come to your aid. And, if you die..." She stuttered, not wanting to resort to it. "Then I'll massacre Eren. I'll rip him to shreds. Tear him limb from limb. In your memory."

Levi was taken back by her confession, he knew she would have done this if he were to die, however, he never expected her to actually allow him to go with the scouts and fulfil his duty. He felt as though he needed to tell her something, one of the only reasons he hadn't settled down with her and stopped being a scout. "I need to complete my mission." He muttered.

"What mission?" She questioned, though she had a lingering feeing she already knew.

"Erwin's last order was to kill the beast titan." He revealed. "That shitty furball is still breathing. I intend to stop him."

The ghoul sighed, she knew how much Erwin meant, sometimes she forgot about Levi's dedication. "Then, I guess that means I have an order from Erwin to fulfil." She realised. "I need to keep going until I can't - push myself to allow you to give the final blow." She remembered the suicide charge, how everyone but her was struck down while she kept running.

Levi looked up at her, thankful and yet so terrified as to how far she would go to guarantee his survival. He knew she would die in a heartbeat if it meant he would live. However, she needed to realise that he would do exactly the same for her. He truly loved her.

"We've reached land." The ghoul said, changing the topic. "You should get some rest, I need to help fix the flying boat."

"I won't let those brats forget about me while I take a damn nap. I'm going with you." He demanded, Kaya wanted to say no, leave him and force him to continue to rest. But, the more she considered it, the more she realised that their time together was limited. She couldn't waste anything.

"You can walk?" Levi responded by slowly getting to his feet, his teeth gritted as he tried to suppress his agony. Kaya watched, pained but aware he had to do this alone. He shakily took a step, wincing slightly. His next few footsteps seemed to ease the pain slightly, perhaps he was getting used to it as he approached his next obstacle - the stairs.

The ghoul watched as he gripped onto the railings, his movements disorganised and messy. "Captain?" Armin worried, racing to reach his side and try to support him, however, Levi simply pushed him away and ignored him. "You should be resting, your injured." He commented, and the captain scoffed.

"You think I don't know that? I'm not just going to be forgotten while everyone else works their ass off ." He kept pushing himself, followed by the ghoul who allowed it.

Armin looked past Levi, locking eyes with Kaya. She knew Levi was in pain, but she was unwilling to help him - the titan shifter didn't know whether she was being kind or cruel. Yet, he knew that she was closest to Levi, and knew exactly what was best for him. So, he stepped aside.

"I need to help with the flying boat." Kaya told him. "I'll meet up with you as soon as I can." She kissed him lightly, only to turn away. Levi stopped her, gripping her wrist loosely.

"Thank you." He didn't elaborate, but Kaya nodded in understanding. The ghoul knew he was grateful for her actions - allowing him to fight, stand on his own two feet, shutting down protests against him - everything she had done for him was against her own better judgement. Levi acknowledged that, it only made him love her more, knowing that, no matter what, she would always be his ally.

————————
Authors note

I'm back, thanks for reminding me in the comments. Sorry this chapter lacked action, however I'm just setting the mood before I cry during the next chapter. Iykyk.