Chapter 65

Kaya hadn't stopped since she had begun working with the engineers - they needed her inhuman strength to move wings and all heavy materials. Her Kagune also came in handy when lifting some of the workers up to reach area's they would usually need ladders for. On the whole, they were initially scared to utilise her ability, but eventually loosened up

"Can you pass that fuel tank over?" One of the mechanics asked, preparing to add the finishing touches to the flying boat.

"Got it." Kaya replied and she walked over and picked it up with her bare hands. On a normal occasion, she would just use her Kagune, but it's sharp edges could possible destroy the metal and even cause them to lose the fuel. Hence, the ghoul took precautions. "Where'd you want it?" She questioned the man.

"Just hold it under the wing." He ordered as he began to forge it with the plane.

Kaya followed the commands of the mechanics, knowing that she would eventually have to regroup with the scouts and form a plan. As soon as she had competed her task, she abandoned her post and put her ODM gear back on. It felt natural and in place, in a way, Kaya felt lost without the familiarity of it.

"Kaya." Hange approached her, linking their arm in hers, being too cheerful for Kaya's liking.

"Hange?" The ghoul tilted her head as she was ushered away. "What's up?" She wondered, compliantly being dragged towards an unknown destination.

Hange simply hummed, continuing to lead the Lieutenant. "He's so stubborn, I don't know how you deal with it." They stated, coming to a stop behind some of the storage crates. "Won't let me help him even though he knows he needs it."

The ghoul let her eyes travel to the man sat on the crates, his hands holding his ODM straps and slightly trembling. Sighing, she knelt down and started to tie them. She couldn't help but respect how hard he was trying to prove he was well enough to fight, but still, he could always have asked her.

"I don't need help." Levi scoffed, though he didn't attempt to stop her from completing the buckles and straps. "I was doing just fine."

The ghoul would have normally laughed, but given the severity of the situation, she simply hummed. "I know." She acknowledged as she finished the last strap. "I just couldn't keep my hands off you." She chuckled. "You always do look good in your scouts uniform, shame you don't have a cape with you."

Hange laughed awkwardly watching the interaction. "Usually I'd leave you to it, but we're on a tight schedule." They commented, ruining the moment. Kaya looked at them and smiled, getting back to her feet before offering her hand to Levi. The captain looked at the offering and hesitated.

"Come on, don't you want to hold your future wife's hand?" She teased, despite her obvious flirtatious tone, he reluctantly grabbed her hand and allowed her to help him once again. "Oh, don't look at me like that. You know you love me."

"Must be Stockholm syndrome." He replied jokingly, Kaya smirked, still holding onto his injured hands gently. She knew her own strength, and although she liked to display it, she knew he was injured.

"Yeah yeah. Just wait until we retire, you'll never get rid of me."

"How will I cope?"

"You're humanities strongest, you'll find a way."

Hange's eye quickly shot from Kaya to Levi as they playfully bickered, they knew it was their way of calming each other down, however, Kaya's words stuck out. The commander knew that their friends were in love with one another, and they had been witness to them acting as a couple before. Yet, seeing it in such dire conditions made them realise something.