Chapter 22

Kaya was stood at the top of the wall, staring at the sunrise and the oncoming titan that blocked out and ruined most the scenery. The mountains in the distance were always a sight to see, the colours of the sky blended perfectly.

"I know we're all about to face off with a 120 metre titan, but damn, the view is amazing." She observed.

"We can go sightseeing after we take down that thing, don't get distracted." Said Levi, causing the ghoul to let out a sigh.

"FIRE!" A high ranking member of the garrison yelled.

The first line of defence against the Reiss titan commenced, dozens of canons fired straight toward the tsunami of steam. Kaya made sure to cover her ears in advance, not wanting the same incident to occur twice. Once the shots were fired, the squad waited to see the results.

"Well, how'd that do?" Asked Erwin.

There was a moment of silence, everyone hoped that they'd taken the titan down, but their hopes were contradicted when a giant hand crashed into the ground.

"FIRE!" Another round of canons fired for the titan, showing less and less precision each time.

"Looks like the field canons are even less affective." The commander stated.

"Makes sense, the canons on the wall have a way better angle. They didn't do shit to it either. What's the problem?" Levi contemplated.

"Unprepared soldiers, scrapped together canons and shallow leadership. The titans have always attacked from the south, not only is this a northern garrison, it's in the interior. Therefore, I can tell you for a fact this is the best we can get." Erwin explained.

"Yeah, that much is painfully clear, and of course your strategy for getting us through this battle is down to a gamble. Just like every other plan that you've come up with."

"Still, your gambles always manage to pay off, so there's still hope." The ghoul said, truthfully, she was shook to the core with Erwins precision when it came to his gambles, he wouldn't be a good enemy to make.

"Erwin, I brought the goodies. All the gunpowder, ropes and netting I could find. We still need to put it together though. Oooh I got this too, there's another one just like it a bit further down. Triggers held in place so once fired, it'll wind right back up just like ODM gear." Hange shouted.

The section commander skipped towards them with Moblit loosely following behind. He was pushing a weapon that looked as though it was loaded with explosives.

"So, we do any damage?" Hange asked.

"Imagine a swarm of flies pissing on it." The captain answered.

"Then we'll actually use these things." Hange replied with surprise.

"Captain Levi, Kaya, Jean, Sasha, Connie, you handle that side." The commander instructed.

"Yes sir." The younger cadets answered.

The group of 5 then ran towards the direction Erwin ordered them, shortly stopping once in position. Sasha, Jean and Connie were chatting amongst themselves when Kaya saw something she found hilarious. She tapped Levi on the shoulder and pointed to the titan shifter further across the wall. Eren, was punching himself with full force, leaving a few marks that would likely heal later. Mikasa was quick to hold Eren back and Kaya listened in.

"I just needed to beat the shit out of a useless brat real quick. With any luck, he's gone now." Kaya mimicked Eren's words, trying to copy his voice and posture. Levi sent her a questioning look.

"His words not mine." The ghoul raised her hands defensively. "I must admit, I taught him well."

"Did he have to make such a scene? He does realise he's not only representing the squad, but humanities hope too?" The captain wondered.