Chapter 56

"Are you sure you're not coming? The squad trusts you more than anyone." Hange asked the ghoul. Both them and Pieck were planning on uniting a team, people who would stand against the Yeagerists and possibly even save the world.

"I'll stay here, keep watch for anymore pursuers and try build a camp." The ghoul decided, but in reality, she didn't trust Magath to take care of Levi if she were to leave.

"Fine, but I expect a fire started for when we arrive, I'll bring some supplies so we can have meals. But I doubt I'll be able to find anything for you." The commander explained, climbing upon Pieck to set off.

"I ate earlier, I can survive 2 months, it should be fine." Though she often felt urges and hunger, she'd never been a binge eater and only ate when necessary, which often led Levi to question her health. But she was better now, Hange had made her a serum that she could consume and she didn't have to kill, at least, that was the case.

"Guess we'll see you soon?" The cart titan began to walk, quickening its pace as it gained more distance. Kaya was a little concerned about who they'd bring back with them, if the cart titan was here, then maybe the armoured and jaw were with her? They'd helped kill so many of her friends, and she couldn't forgive them for that, but she couldn't exactly hold a grudge against them for something they were forced to do.

"How exactly are you setting up this camp?" Magath asked, leaning against a tree with his arms crossed.

"We won't be staying for long, so I'll cut down some trees for seating and get some smaller sticks for the fire. Nothing special." Kaya informed him while she surveyed their surroundings.

"No beds?" The man asked.

"I don't see the need. It's not like any of us will be sleeping anyways, all too scared to wake up with a gun against their head." She answered coldly. "Besides, where exactly are we going to find beds?" She scoffed.

"Well, your boyfriend over there seems to be sleeping like a log. And who's to say they aren't tired after all their fighting?" Magath pressed the topic, making the ghoul sigh and give in.

"Fine, we'll set up 10 beds." She stated, regaining control. "I guess I'll be the one who collects leaves from the treetops, and you can set them down. But first, we'll start the fire." The Lieutenant instructed and began picking up some stray twigs and dried leaves.

.
.
.

"That was quicker than I thought it would be." Magath sat down on a log, placing his hands towards the flames for warmth. "Never thought I'd get to see a ghoul use her kagune. We thought you were all dead."

"And whys that? I know there was a war, but I'm not familiar with it." The ghoul wondered, she'd figured that it was time she learnt more about her parents. The last ghoul she'd seen didn't give much away.

"You really are clueless." He said in disbelief. "The war started 50 years ago, us Marleyans didn't have the weapons to counter their attacks, but we found some allies."

"Who?"

"Ghouls, of course. Some of them were smart, figured that they shouldn't kill their only food source, so the ghouls divided and fought to the death. There was probably more to it, but the war guaranteed their extinction." The Marleyan explained, giving Kaya information that she'd pretty much already deciphered. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but a ghoul and a human can't be together, so what's your deal with him?" He nudged his head in Levi's direction.

"That's personal."

"It's not like I've got anyone to tell." Just in time to avoid Theo Magath's questions, Kaya heard footsteps in the distance. Horses and carts, two of them, along with the cart titan.

"They're back." The ghoul avoided and quickly went to Levi's side to tell him the news. "Levi?" She crouched down, soon noticing he was still sound asleep. For his sake, she decided to let him rest, he needed it.

The wagons finally dodged the trees and sat around the campfire, eyes scanning over one another just in case. "Sorry we're late." Hange hopped off the cart and started unloading the wagons. "Jean was insistent that he washed himself in the stream. That, and we found some unexpected allies." The commander explained, to which Kaya's eyes averted to the second cart.

Right there, before her own eyes, sat Annie Leonhardt.

"Leonhardt?" Magath asked, under the assumption she was dead.

"Commander Magath." Annie greeted in monotone.

The Lieutenants breathing hitched and it wasn't until Mikasa grabbed her hand, she realised she was glaring at the blonde. Distracted by the recent action, her breathing slowed, pacing itself as usual. However, her shock was still present. She was beyond uncomfortable, the female titan had killed her friends four years ago, yet here she stood, as her new ally.

"Um, sorry, the camps not much." She stuttered before clearing her throat and regaining composure. "I don't expect we'll be staying long, so it should suffice. Anyways, who've we got here?" The ghoul changed the subject.

"So far, we've got the squad, Reiner, Annie, Onyankopon and Yelena. Along with two warrior candidates, one of which now carries the jaw titan." Jean informed. "Have we got any allies here?"

"Levi's injured, badly. Other than that it's just me and this guy." Kaya pointed towards the Marleyan commander.

"Great." Jean sighed.