Chapter 48

"Glad to see everyone made it back in one piece." Kaya said as she entered the separate room on the airship. "No offence Zeke." The ghoul glanced at the blonde man, still missing a few limbs. "Is he here yet?" The ghoul asked.

Hange shook their head. "I'll have to have him detained when we arrive back in Paradis. He's too risky." They answered. "What about you, did you manage to kill the cart."

"About that." Kaya trailed off, catching Levi's gaze. "She got away, some warrior candidates managed to drag her." She formed, it was somewhat true, but mostly a lie. Pieck got away because Kaya let her. "I think that's them." She changed the subject, hearing a new hook attach to the railings.

Armin opened the door and hesitantly helped Eren on board, but the titan shifter didn't know what was in store for him once he managed to get inside of the doors.

"Well aren't you a filthy sight." Levi spoke. "Looks like you fell in a pile of shit, Eren." The captain walked towards him.

"Captain Levi." Eren acknowledged before a foot was driven into his face, knocking him to the other side of the ship. Eren didn't resist, however, Mikasa was prepared to fight until Armin rested a hand on her shoulder.

"This takes me back, you have a real kickable face, you know that. Once you're tied up, I'd like to have a longer chat." Levi explained, motioning the soldiers around him not to shoot, even if it was the wiser option.

"That's fine by me, but I explained everything in the letters I wrote. Did you not understand them." He looked up, glaring at Levi, taunting him.

"Really?" Kaya scoffed at his childishness.

"I know that face. You probably know it too, right?" He turned to the ghoul. "Used to see it on the rotten shits I found in the underground. Never thought I'd see it on you. Hey, cheer up, everything went just how you wanted."

"Even if you restarted a war." Kaya muttered, she was unsure how to feel about the whole situation, but by the looks of it, there was a clear difference between the newer and older scouts.

"Kaya, a word." Levi motioned her to join him at the other end of the room, the ghoul sighed but continued and stood beside him.

"Yeah?" She asked.

"You're not telling me everything, are you?" He assumed, to which Kaya's breath hitched, something Levi quickly took notice of. "What happened with the cart titan?" He asked again.

"I don't regret it, so don't bother lecturing me." Kaya defended. "There were two warrior candidates, and they did drag the cart titan away. But I let them." Levi tilted his head, slightly confused but still trusting Kaya enough to have good reasons. "They were kids, not even teenagers, and they tried to stop me from getting to Pieck. They'd lost so much, telling me not to take Pieck too, I just couldn't do it. Then I heard Floch and I thought it was best for them to run while they still had the chance."

The captain looked at the lieutenant, seeing the fierceness in her amber eyes and understanding the change she'd been through since they'd first met. Usually, she wouldn't have cared about her enemies, no matter the age, she certainly didn't show any sympathy for Leonhardt. But now, the woman from the underground knew the true story, or at least, that's what she thought.

"I see." Levi nodded. "I wouldn't mention it to anyone else though, but I'm glad to see some of us haven't lost our humanity."

"Ironic, considering I'm not even human." The ghoul joked, barely able to hear herself over the loud noises on the other side of the ship. "God, I hope my squad aren't part of that crowd. Eldian empire my ass." She eyed the door. "They're starting to sound like the Marleyans."