Chapter 63

"Hey." The ghoul said to Levi as she sat in the armchair besides his bed. He wasn't sleeping, just lying there, eyes glued to the ceiling.

"What's wrong?" He asked her, as if she hadn't just lost her squad and killed their friends in the span of a day. "Loaded question." He backtracked.

"I hesitated." She finally spoke. "Annie was in danger, she was going to be killed. And I hesitated."

"It's okay-"

"It's not." She interrupted. "We could have lost her just because I was too damn weak. And worst of all, everybody else knows it too. I'm a liability."

"If you came here just to talk shit about the woman I love, then you've got the wrong idea." Levi sat up. "Kaya isn't weak, she's strong, determined and doesn't give up. So what if you slipped up? Everyone does. It just proves that you're human. So quit being so pessimistic and think for a second." He advised. "If it were me, I don't think I would've snapped out of it at all. In fact, I would've gone out of my way to let her die. That squad was my all, when they died, part of me did too. So for you to go on and continue despite that, you surely aren't a liability."

She needed to hear that, but it didn't make it any easier to believe it. Was she strong and determined? Or was she just following orders? Kaya didn't know, but she was certain on one thing, she hadn't forgiven anyone. No matter how many times she lied and said she understood, she didn't. That's when everything fell apart and tears once again streamed down her face.

She usually didn't cry so easily, but given all the events and emotions she'd bottled up, she wall falling apart. "It's okay, you're allowed to cry." Levi encouraged when he noticed her trying to be quiet and discreet.

"I'm so tired." She spoke. "I'm tired of war, I'm tired of fighting."

"I know."

"And I'm tired of seeing the people around me get hurt." She focused on Levi. "Promise me, you won't get hurt again. Please."

"I... I can't." The captain answered honestly because he didn't have a clue what the future held, and neither did Kaya.

———————

Authors note

Why won't part three come out already !?

Because this fanfic is on hold until then, I have made a new one.

Here's a preview, some chapters are already out.

Carmen, an elite assassin produced by the government to eliminate any threats to humanity, her greatest asset is her inability to feel pain. One day, she is given new orders, ones she must commit to.

Kill Humanities Strongest.

The only way in doing so, is to enrol in Cadet Training, where she gains freedom that had never been experienced before. The journey is long, and after making unexpected acquaintances, Carmen decides that the best way to preserve her freedom is to let her target live.

But what would happen if he found out that his closest ally was out to kill him?