Chapter 43

Hange's executioner from hell, which had been crushing titans day in and day out, went silent just before winter. Months later, when the snow started melting, the military announced that wall Maria had been cleansed of titans, at last. By the time the elevator on the walls were free to use, and workers begun on paving the new roads, there were flowers in bloom and butterflies dancing between them. Maria's refugees were finally permitted to return back to their homes, roughly a year after what had been called humanities first victory. And so, six years after the colossal titans first devastating attack, the scouts resumed their expeditions, exploring the world beyond the walls once again.

"It's just as you thought Hange, most of the titans were within wall Maria. We've all but wiped them out, and all in a single year." Levi stated from the front of their formation.

"Gotta say, I never expected to get this far when I first signed up. The scouts get shit done." Kaya added, her main reason for even joining was because of Erwin and his blackmail.

"By signed up, do you mean 'got arrested'?" Levi asked rhetorically.

"Yeah? Well how exactly did you sign up?" She shot back. "Checkmate." She smiled, the captain slightly starting to regret telling her about his similar event.

The scouts continued their journey, a new set of green capes followed their every move as they drew nearer and nearer to their destination. All was running smoothly until they saw a red smoke signal in the distance. To the ghouls ears, it didn't seem dangerous, but she knew from her past encounters that they should never be underestimated.

The rest of the scouts stood on their horses, some still expecting it to move or even pounce at them, however, Eren had a different take on the situation. The shifter calmly placed his hand on the forehead of the titan.

"It was shipped to paradise." The boy spoke without emotion. "Which means it's a fellow patriot. Let's go, we're close." His words shook everyone, they all knew what patriot meant, but they didn't share the same knowledge as Eren when it came to the subject.

After assessing the security of the titan, everyone continued their path. Kaya had always wanted to see the sea, she never thought she'd even get the opportunity to get above ground, but slowly, she was achieving everything she could ask for.

It got to the point where the ground they rode on became sandy and their horses slowed down slightly, but that didn't compare to their surprise when they saw a wall towering behind a small cliff. "If there's a place where they've been turning people into titans, this is definitely it." Hange said to their comrades.

"That's not all." Kaya interrupted after catching a strong smell that she hadn't ever come across before. "I can smell salt, but it's much stronger, and has an off scent." She elaborated. "I think we found what we were looking for."

Just as she finished her observation, the scouts turned around the wall and trotted their horses up to the higher ground. The commander came to a halt, and just as imagined, the outside world was beautiful. A body of water as blue as the sky went on as far as the eye could see, at a rhythm, it's waves began to eat into to sand and spread closer towards them, never had they seen anything like this before.

A silence was emerged amongst the scouts, each individually taking in their surroundings, though it was different for the 9 soldiers who'd been on their mission from the beginning. They'd worked so hard to achieve this, lost an infinite amount of comrades, and it showed on their faces. Each of them all mesmerised by the scenery.

"Levi, gather your squad. We're taking a closer look." The scientist instructed as they jumped from their horse and ran around the hill, the others forming a loose follow behind them.

Although Kaya and Levi were equally excited, they chose to set an example in front of the others and calmly walked from the hill. "It's beautiful." The ghoul finally said, summing up everyone's views at once.

"And to think, we had this on our doorstep the whole time." The captain agreed, though showing less enthusiasm.

After seeing a few of the squad in the water, the lieutenant took off her boots and rolled up her trouser legs to find out exactly what she'd missed out on her whole life. She'd never been surrounded by so much water, and it was common knowledge to know the water in the underground was barely eligible for drinking, so swimming was out of the question.

Sensing a push from the water, she jumped back and ran away from the small wave approaching her. "You coming?" She asked Levi, holding out her and practically begging him to join. Reluctantly, he agreed, taking off his boots and mimicking the ghouls previous actions.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." He answered truthfully and took her hand within his own. The two then walked into the water, their feet being submerged in its coldness instantly. Of course, there were a few side eyes from the squad, they knew about their relationship, but had never seen either of them so carefree and smiling as happily as they were.

"Ow! My eyes, they burn!" Sasha yelled as she clung to her face, all while Connie laughed at his small victory.

"That's salty!" Jean shouted after he drank the salt water.

"Woohoooo!" Hange screamed, assimilating to the new loudness of the group. "Wow, is this actually full of salt water? Huh? What could that be?" They then asked, picking up a seashell.

"Hange, you shouldn't touch it, it might be poisonous." Levi advised from further towards the shallow end, both him and Kaya only feeling secure with the water to their ankles.

"Look at this one." The ghoul spoke. Levi looked to see her crouching towards the water and rising again with an Auger shell in her hands.

"See Eren, it's just like I told you. A body of water so big that merchants could spend their whole lives and still not get all the salt out. That's what I said we'd find and now it looks like I was right." Armin said with tears in his eyes. This had been his goal, his reason for joining the scouts and the hope he clung to throughout their struggles.

"Yeah, the sea, it's so damn big." Eren agreed flatly, not even turning to look at his friend.

"Yeah." The blonde boy agreed. "Hey, it's like you said too, on the other side of the wall..."

"There's a sea." The green eyed boy interrupted. "And jut across that sea, freedoms waiting. That's what I always believed at least. But I was wrong, I know what's waiting across the sea now, it's our enemies. Everything we've seen has been exactly as it was in my fathers memories." The boy lifted his hand and pointed ahead. "Hey, if we did cross the sea and killed our enemies, after that, would we finally be free?"

The ghoul found his words to be terrifyingly true. They were so happy that they'd broken free from the titans rule, but now, they had a new problem at hand. A problem that was bigger than the scouts and far more serious than the titans. Something that they'd learn to adapt to in time.

Authors note —— ngl I cried rewatching that episode, it was so adorable and then it went all sad, the music just made it all so despairing.

Alsoooo, season 4? I've got a few ideas and a few oc's in mind and it's gonna be a huge time skip.