Chapter 51

Levi and Kaya were stunned. They were well aware that they'd been isolated for almost a month, but that didn't change the shock they felt when they were informed of Zackery's assassination and Eren's escape. Everything they'd been through, and it all changed in a matter of seconds, the order and control they once established over their comrades disappeared.

"It's not even funny, that piece of shit has a titan and he's sitting right beneath us." Levi scowled from the treetops, looking onto Zeke.

"What do you mean?" Asked another soldier.

"We'll transfer Zeke's beast to another host, someone expendable like one of those Yeagerists." The captain explained.

"I'll inform my squad, try and see if we can single out any traitors in the mix. That way, I don't have to look at that thing anymore." Kaya offered, tilting her head toward the blonde man.

"Good, just don't tell anyone outside your squad. We don't want anything getting into the wrong hands." He advised, to which Kaya swiftly nodded and used her gear to reach where her squad were stationed.

"Kaya?" Jade asked after she seen a green cape fly past her. "I mean, Lieutenant." She quickly corrected when noticing the serious expression.

"Good, you're all here." Relieved, Kaya sighed, she was glad she didn't gave to got though the trouble of tracking them down individually. "The premier's dead, he was assassinated." She brought bad news.

"What? You're serious?" Without haste, Tessa immediately panicked, she understood the severity of the situation instantly.

"And why exactly would she lie about that, you're supposed to be the smart one." Taylor scoffed. Once again, Kaya was reminded of the fact that the woman hadn't drank any alcohol, judging by the way she acted, Taylor could use some stress relief.

"Yes I'm serious." The ghoul confirmed. "And Eren Yeager has escaped, we suspect he's gonna try and retrieve Zeke." She paused, giving the group a moment to catch on. "Here's the plan, we need to find ourselves a Yeagerist, someone expendable to feed Zeke to. So look out for any suspicious behaviour and don't make our plan known, got it?" She asked.

The squad nodded. "Lieutenant, what do we do if we find something?" Sally wondered.

"Report to me or Levi immediately. Or if you can, restrain them." Kaya then ordered before spotting Levi next to Zeke at the campfire. The blonde man looked towards her squad with a suspicious gaze, which soon showed a look of understanding and refocused on Levi's conversation. "What the hell?" Kaya muttered and turned to see her squad weren't paying attention to the man. "We'll rendezvous later, but stay close." Leaping from the tree branch, she made another demand.

"Just read your book." Levi turned from Zeke once he'd seen his partner land beside him.

"As you command Captain." He laughed. "Oh and Kaya, you wouldn't mind telling me where Sally is, I quite enjoy her company." He asked.

"Like I'd tell you." She scoffed and walked beside the captain. "Levi, somethings wrong. I can't put my finger on it but he knows. He has to." Quietly, she whispered her thoughts to Levi, who seemed to understand her concern.

"With 30 fully armed soldiers waiting in the trees above us, even if Zeke becomes the beast, he won't escape." He reassured.

"If he's our hostage then why does it feel like he's calling the shots. Can we cut him up now, save ourselves the trouble?" Kaya asked, in the past it may have been thought that she was joking, but on this occasion, her seriousness was deadly.

"We need to wait for clearance fro-" The captain answered but was interrupted by Kaya. Upon hearing footsteps, the ghoul swiftly spun around and dragged his arm with her, leading them both to see Zeke running out of the woods. "Huh?"