Chapter 28

It was the day before the retake of wall Maria, everyone had been busy doing their own duty in preparation and there'd been rumours that the scouts would receive meat, which was a rarity within the military. Upon awakening, Kaya felt obligated to confront Hange about telling Moblit, the scientist would probably be stuck in meetings all day so it would be best to catch them while they had time to spare. Determined, the ghoul marched towards Hange's lab, crossing all the early birds in the scouts.

She knocked three times before poking her head through the doorway. "Hange, you here?" Kaya yelled.

"Let yourself in." The section commander returned, not even bothering to turn their head towards their guest, until she was in front of them. "Kaya?"

"What gave it away?" The ghoul rolled her eyes.

"I've been thinking about my actions yesterday and I've come to the conclusion that I was in the wrong. Although Moblit is my most trusted friend, I should have asked your permission before telling him. However, I promise, I would have never done it if I doubted his loyalty, which I don't. Could you possibly forgive me?" Hange explained.

"I don't exactly blame you for telling Moblit, I was just a little pissed off that you didn't ask me first. Besides, I may have overreacted a little." The thief added, she did feel a little guilty about her rudeness to Moblit so she decided it would be best to apologise to him too. "Is Moblit here?"

"MOBLIT!" Hange shouted, causing the blonde man to stumble into sight, fearing something bad had happened.

"Y-yes section commander?" He stuttered, trying to catch his breath.

"Oh, I just wanted to apologise for yesterday. I overreacted and I'm sorry." Kaya briefly summarised.

"It's fine."

"Say, I'm in meeting all day. Moblit, would you mind taking lead on Kaya's experiments?" Hange asked her assistant. "That's if you're still up to it?" They turned their gaze to the ghoul.

"Well, I've got nothing better to do." Kaya answered truthfully. She really couldn't think of anything that could have clogged up her schedule, Levi was stuck in meetings and it would be weird for her to hang out with teenagers all day. So she complied to Hange's request and put her faith in Moblit, if Hange could trust him, then so could she.

"Great! Moblit, make sure to check her immunity, regeneration, food habits, and her abilities. I've got to go discuss our situation with the titan serum." The section commander gathered their things and walked over towards Kaya, patting her on the back in supportive manner. That, or they were just confirming to Moblit that the ghoul wasn't a threat.

Then it was just Moblit and Kaya. Alone. They'd spoken on a few occasions but it didn't make their situation any less awkward. "So, what do ya wanna check out first?" Kaya asked.

"Well, I suppose that we test your abilities before we stunt your potential. Why don't we go outside so we don't break anything?"

"Sounds good to me but I'd like it if I didn't get caught by the others." They made their way towards the outdoors, Moblit took into account Kaya's request and they went into a nearby forest so they wouldn't be seen by any of the scouts. He brought his sketch book which already contained a brief drawing of the thief's activated eyes from her last visit to the lab.

The tests were simple, how high she could jump, how fast she could run, and to test her strength she kicked down a few trees. Moblit looked a little scared when he saw the Birch trees tremble at the force she delivered. "Do you have any other abilities?" He asked. "Hange mentioned something called a kagune?"

"Oh yeah." The ghoul activated her kagune. She'd recently found out that hers was different from her parents, that minutely upset her because now she didn't have much to remember them by, other than Yeager. Moblit looked a little freaked out so she explained as much as she could without him having to ask. "Don't ask me about the science, I probably won't be able to remember all the stuff I read in that book anyways. But, here's what I do know: it's as durable as me and I can fully control it, it's more of an extension of my body rather than a weapon. Also, this is one of the only ways to hurt me, self inflicted injuries. That or some really powerful being."