Chapter 50

A month had passed since the scouts had first set up camp in the forest, and it wasn't getting any more bearable for the sober scouts. Everyone maintained patrols and positions in the trees, continuously lurking to see if there were any changes. There weren't, not within the forest at least.

"How much longer are we expected to wait here?" Kaya asked. "I'm running low on tea."

"I sent a messenger out earlier, hopefully they'll come back with some news." Levi answered, shifting his gaze towards Zeke, he was reading, again. "He looks as though he's enjoying that book." Levi said, sarcastically.

"What is this, his 6th time?" The ghoul slightly laughed.

"Something tells me he's been eavesdropping more than listening."

"Definitely, though he's always talking to Sally whenever his nose isn't in it. I've told her to keep a distance, but she's just too nice to leave him alone." The ghoul sighed. To her, she was still bewildered at how her squad managed to be so different, yet all having equal experiences.

"Can I ask you something?" Levi wondered.

"Shoot." The ghoul turned to look at him once more.

"When you said we've already gone through the worst of it, do you really think so?" He questioned, but in truth, Kaya didn't even know her answer.

"I'd like to think so, but who can say. Everything's gone to shit and we all know it, the only people who don't seem to care are those idiots who keep stuffing their faces with wine." She eyed the prisoner. "And him. He either doesn't care or he doesn't need to. I don't trust him one bit."

Levi nodded, he felt the same way. However, neither of the scouts could put their finger on the real issue at hand, their isolation didn't grant them any favours. "I've got a few things I wanna run by him, you coming?" He asked the ghoul, who nodded and followed him down towards the campfire.

"Sally." Kaya said to her squad member. "He's a prisoner, act like it." She warned the blonde and watched her lower her head, walking away in slight shame.

"Aw, don't be so strict Kaya, you're not jealous of her, are you?" The titan mocked, to which Kaya glared at him with a disgusted expression.

"I'd rather chew off my own foot." She sat beside Levi on the fallen tree.

"And I'd rather you didn't speak to her that way, that is, unless you want me to cut off your tongue. You shouldn't have to worry, it would grow back, right?" Levi threatened and the ghoul couldn't contain her smirk.

"I take it you two didn't come down here to continue glaring, so what's your question?" Zeke cut to the point, he caught on fast, knowing the two scouts would rather be anywhere but near him.

"Ragako." Levi began. "What happened, how did the villagers turn titan."

Kaya still didn't understand. Zeke had already told them the same story, multiple times upon his initial capture, but then again, Levi didn't like to let things go so easily. Of course, Kaya still resented Zeke for his actions and always would, but she didn't need to hear about Ragako anymore than he did.

"It's called a gas weapon. The gas was made with some of my spinal fluid, inhaling even a small amount makes any subjects of Ymir freeze up, lose control of their bodies and fall unconscious. This also edges a coordinate inside them, I used this path to send the power of the titans to said coordinate. And that's why the people of that village transformed into titans." The prisoner explained, carelessly brushing over the fact that he'd murdered innocent people and children in cold blood.

"It was called Ragako, not that village. And seeing as you murdered every person who lived there, you should learn the name you bearded shit." Levi insulted.