Chapter 20

The group drew closer to the Reiss residence by the second and Kaya couldn't help but feel a little nervous, Levi's comments didn't help her in any way. "You need to understand, this is Kenny the ripper, if he's there then he's our biggest obstacle." Levi warned the squad. "In terms of his threat level, it's like you'll be fighting me."

"Not to brag, but been there done that." The ghoul joked, sensing by the awkward silence that now was not the time for bragging.

Levi sighed before continuing. "With those weapons of his he'll be even stronger."

"He's unbeatable, at least to us." Sasha muttered loud enough for most scouts to hear.

"Maybe we should wait and meet up with other soldiers." Connie tried to convince.

"No chance in hell." Threatened Mikasa, making Connie instantly rephrase his words.

"R-right, if we wait for reinforcements then Eren might get eaten."

"You know, based on what the captain just told us, the odds won't be entirely in Kenny's favour." Armin added.

"You really think so?" Jean asked from up front.

"Yeah, his squad is well trained but we have way more combat experience."

"Have to ask, how is it that you lived with Kenny the ripper but know next to nothing about him? Did you never talk?" Hange asked Levi.

"Not much, I only just learned the mans last name." He replied.

"Sorry about that, I was under the impression that you already knew." Kaya apologised.

"You'd think so." He said before turning his attendance to Mikasa. "Dunno if you heard but it's Ackerman, maybe a relative of yours?"

"I remember my parents saying that my dads side, the Ackermans, were persecuted in the cities. My mom said her ancestors were eastern, her families appearance made it difficult for them to fit in. Both groups were chased deep in the mountains near the edge of the walls, that's how my parents met. But my father never told me why the Ackermans were persecuted, he looked the same as all of you, so I don't think he was of a different race." Mikasa answered.

"Tell me this, have you ever suddenly felt a power awaken inside you." He asked, Mikasa looked up in shock.

"I have." She answered in realisation.

"This has happened for Kenny Ackerman as well, suddenly out of no where, he felt an absurd amount of strength surging through him. In that moment, he knew just what he needed to do. And it's happened to me too, makes me wonder." Levi looked up to the stars, deep in thought.

The scouts soon arrived at the chapel and snuck inside to set the traps and prepare their gear. "The anti-personnel ODM gear has a big weakness, the anchor points in the same direction as the gun so once it's deployed, the gun can't be aimed again. Which means that while the users moving, they're vulnerable to an attack from behind. But there greatest weakness is that once they fire twice, they need a few seconds to reload their weapons." Armin strategised.

"Hope everyone's ready, because you're all about to get your hands dirtied." Levi informed, receiving no response from his squad. "I'll take that as a yes. Let's go." He ordered as the scouts followed him into a tunnel, leading them underground.

"I'll go first." Kaya said.

"No need, just maintain your position." The captain replied.

"I wasn't asking." She threatened before she sighed. "I can deal with a few bullets Levi, you, not so much." The ghoul said as she began to defy the captain and lead the group.