Season 4 chapter 44

The lieutenant stood on the floor of a forest, great trees towering above her and she was almost certain it was the same forest she saved Eren from, but alas, it didn't matter. Eren had been gone for years, currently, she only had one focus in mind.

"Training exercise." She informed her squad. The group itself consisted of four women, each of them owing a debt to the ghoul and viewing this as their best way to pay it. Thus, when Kaya heard of them completing their training, she instantly took the opportunity to look further into the women who placed top of their classes. It didn't take much digging to find out that they'd all met previously in the underground, and the ghoul was even more intrigued when she discovered that they were some of the people she'd managed to save from human trafficking.

"If any of you manage to lay a hit on me with your swords, then you'll be on my team for the next training session." Kaya explained, causing each of the women to look at each other in desperation. The ghoul had a reputation for being brutal with their lessons and wasn't afraid to be violent if needed. However, her actions and teaching methods soon led her squad to overpower most others.

"But what if you get hurt?" Sally asked in worry, either that or she was greatly miscalculating the lieutenants abilities. The girl herself was the kindest person in the squad, which the ghoul was grateful for, since she too grew up in the underground.

"As if that's actually gonna happen. We've got a better chance seeing pigs fly." A more pessimistic girl, Taylor countered. She was probably the strongest squad member, she excelled in hand-to-hand combat and was good with weaponry.

"Maybe if none of us win, we'd have a better chance of beating her in the next exercise?" Tessa suggested, obviously having the most brains out of the four, making her Kaya's 'go to' person for advice.

While the other girls stood strategising, the fourth member waited in confusion, she'd never been academically advanced and hadn't even been given the right education to read and write, but she was the fastest learner amongst the rest. Every skill Kaya had taught, Jade had picked up within a few weeks. "You guys do realise that she left about five minutes ago?" Jade asked them, tilting her head as if to ask what's next. As capable as Jade was, her inability to make her own decisions was a major setback.

"What?" Taylor practically yelled. "You knew this whole time and didn't tell us?" She muttered and shot her hooks into the forest, already beginning to try and win.

The ghoul sat on a branch, dangling her feet from the height and listening sharply for her squad to make a move. When she'd first met them, they were helpless, but now, they were so much more. She trusted them to not only protect themselves, but also humanity, let alone herself. However, she still couldn't tell them her deepest secret, she was a ghoul. If ever a day were to come where they needed to know, she wouldn't hesitate to speak the truth, but until then, what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

Suddenly, the lieutenants ears perked when she heard the familiar sound of ODM gear approaching her, her suspicions as to who it was were soon put to an end when she heard Taylor muttering her frustrations to herself again. It had always been a bad habit of the brunette girl, along with the fact her blue eyes always glued themselves onto the floor whenever doing so.

"What took you so long?" Kaya sat still, shouting towards the brunette.

"Well, I had to give you a fighting chance, didn't I?" Taylor yelled back.

"Sure you did." The ghoul said loud enough for her to hear, causing Taylor to release her gas and speed towards her leader. Kaya only had to jump to avoid the simplistic attack, which only angered Taylor more.

The brunette let out a battle cry before spinning around and getting her blades ready to slice Kaya, it was barbaric, but it was still the lieutenants orders. Taylor didn't hold back on her next move, but before she could land a hit, Kaya drew her own swords and deflected her hard work.