Chapter 42

The ghoul waited patiently on the rooftop. She'd dressed for the occasion, wearing a green skirt that reached her shins, a white shirt and a brown corset. It was unusual for Kaya to wear skirts, so Levi would know as soon as he saw her that this was something she valued. However, the ghoul couldn't stop looking at her hair, as much as everyone said it was nice, she didn't feel the same, so she vowed that as soon as her darker hair grew to a more reasonable length, she'd cut away the white.

 However, the ghoul couldn't stop looking at her hair, as much as everyone said it was nice, she didn't feel the same, so she vowed that as soon as her darker hair grew to a more reasonable length, she'd cut away the white

Levi sat in the windowsill just below the roof, Kaya knew he was there, she could sense him. But she could also sense his heart racing and the sound of him trying to control his breathing. He was nervous, and it showed. His main reasoning was that Hange had also dragged him into a conversation, one he didn't know he needed.

"This is your fault." Levi accused the new commander.

"My fault? No, I'm helping you." Hange reasoned. "You said you wanted to be more, now you've got that opportunity. Don't screw it up."

The words 'don't screw it up' were meaningless themselves, but the captain couldn't help but wonder the possibility. He couldn't lose something that felt so euphoric, something that he knew was right, yet foreign in every way. So he waited until he had the courage to finally climb onto the roof.

"Sorry to keep you waiting." Levi said as he sat beside the ghoul. When he looked her way, he was stunned. "You look..." He began but struggled to find the words. "Lovely." He said. Kaya smiled at the compliment. She was happy that she finally knew how to buy clothes instead of stealing.

"As do you." She returned and motioned him to take a seat next to her. For a while it was silent, but it was comforting, however, Kaya needed a way to stop the questions from pouring out of her, so she decided to release them gradually. "What's got you so nervous?"

Levi looked shocked at how quickly she'd found him out, but remembered her abilities once more. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't imagine Kaya not being human, she was kind, caring and had a lot in common with himself. "I forgot you could hear heartbeats." He admitted.

"Can I ask you a question?" She asked him, sounding curious as to how else she was supposed to get to her point. Levi was also curious, Hange had given him a preview of what each of them wanted to happen tonight, but he'd never been so open before, not since he lost his brother and sister.

"Ask away." He answered.

The ghoul took a deep breath and thought about how she was going to phrase her own words. "What are we?" She decided, it was a blunt question, and more openhanded than she'd initially wanted. "Are we friends, dating, or just plain experimenting?" She elaborated.

"I don't know?" Levi spoke, causing the lieutenant to break eye contact slightly. "But I do know what I want."

"And what would that be?" She questioned before seeing him lean closer to her once again.

He nuzzled his head into the crook of her neck and began to whisper the words she'd so desperately wanted to hear. "To be with you." Kaya's moment of shock didn't last long, because in no time, the two were kissing once again. It was different to their previous kisses, this time, there was more passion, each of them displaying their love for each one another because of the news of their reciprocated feelings.

The kiss stopped when Kaya felt what she presumed to be raindrops fall from the sky. She didn't mind the rain and was immune to colds and other burdens humanity faced, but Levi wasn't. However, when she looked at her surroundings, her smile dropped. The sky was completely white and small buds of cotton appeared to be coating the ground in a white blanket. To a thief from the underground, the scene looked like a supernatural event.

"The hell is that?" She asked as she held out her hand to catch the snowflakes emerging form above.

"Snow." The captain answered. "I had a similar reaction when I first saw it too."

The ghoul was mesmerised by what she was seeing, so she didn't take into account the snow that was coating the roof they stood on and failed to realise Levi's plan. Before she could compliment the scenery, the ravenette launched a snowball towards her back, hitting its target perfectly.

The ghoul flinched when she felt some of the cold substance run down her back. "Don't start something you can't finish, Captain." Kaya smirked, picking up some snow and moulding it with her hands. When she felt it was ready, she aimed and had her target selected. It hit Levi, the war had begun.

Their small battle continued until eventually, it became unsafe and too slippery on the roof, so they took sanctuary indoors by the fire place and brewed some tea for themselves. For a while, they were peaceful, until the commander decided to interrupt.

"Well, well, well, look who I finally found." They stated, glaring at the two before their expression changed. "You two look adorable cuddling together, just wait until everyone hears about this." The scientist changed the subject.

"Leave us be, Hange." Levi said, for once, not calling them one of his favoured nicknames.

"That's a change, I expected you to both be on opposite sides of the couch by now. Looks like you have changed."

Hange was right, Kaya didn't expect Levi to be so nonchalant about his reputation potentially changing at all, but she was glad, because this meant he was finally expressing his emotions instead of burying them where not even his closest friends could find.