Chapter 55

Kaya gripped the small cart in her hands, walking the same speed as Hange while pulling Levi along. They knew what they were looking for, survivors, ideally people who weren't Yeagerists. However, it was unexpected for the ghouls nose to latch onto a smell she'd grown to hate, the smell of a titan shifter. Titans usually smelt plain, or even scentless, but mixed with two human smells, she knew exactly what they'd found.

"Follow me." Kaya signalled. "I found the cart titan, and a friend of hers."

"The cart titan?" Hange asked. "How did she get here?"

"Who knows, but I suspect she's not the only one." The ghoul wondered.

"Then shouldn't we head the other way?"

"No." Levi answered. "We've got nothing to lose, and I have a feeling the cart will want to hear us out." He looked toward Kaya, referring to how she spared Pieck's life.

.
.
.

They made it to their destination quickly, and found cover for a brief moment. The dust erupting from every titan footstep was unsettling, Kaya was just glad she was far enough away from it. However, the noises did pose as a slight drawback, but it would be gone soon anyways, or at least far enough away for her to tone it out.

"I'll introduce myself, I am the commander after all." Hange explained and walked towards the cart titan.

"What?" Kaya asked, but it was too late, Hange had already ran toward the two.

"Excuse me!" They yelled, instantly regretting it when the titan leapt toward them. "Woah, Woah wait!"

Luckily, the ghoul made it just in time, managing to pull Hange away from danger. "Damn it, that was way too reckless." She scolded.

"You don't need to eat me okay, I'm not a threat, I didn't even bring any weapons." The scientist informed, but the Marleyans gaze turned to Kaya.

"Yeah whatever. I did bring weapons." She held up her swords. "But if I wanted you dead then I would've done it back in Marley, you owe me." As she finished her sentence, the soldier took the safety off his gun, clearly still seeing her as a threat.

"Are you wondering who we've got over there?" Hange pointed to Levi, blowing his cover and receiving a glare from the ghoul. "Yeah, he's not a threat either. He's just a poor bastard who refuses to die." The two stayed silent for a while, searching for the right words or a way to discreetly discuss the situation, but it was no use, something had to be said.

"Kaya." Levi spoke quietly, knowing the ghoul would be able to hear him from the distance. Hesitantly, she walked away from the cart and towards the captain. "I need you to take me to them."

"But, what are you gonna do if things go south?" She criticised, even though she knew she'd risk her own life to save him.

"Please." He pressed. After sighing heavily, the ghoul pulled Levi's cart towards the three others, watching as Hange tried to joke about titans in order to buy them precious seconds.

"Remember that they have the upper hand here, so try to refrain from your usual course of action." Kaya advised, watching Levi stare towards their potential allies.

"Are you trying to say you can't take them?" He asked.

"Physically, yes. But with you and Hange close by, I don't think I'd be able to move faster than the bullets." She admitted, coming to a stop in front of Pieck and Magath, both looked as though they held a high amount of suspicion. "This is captain Levi." She introduced.