Chapter 45

The squad all saddled onto their horses and began their journey back to their base. Unlike most scouts, they managed to live with the other higher up squads. For example, Section commanders, and Captain Levi himself along with his squad. Kaya's squad all knew about the lieutenant and captains relationship, but none of them were confidant enough to openly ask her about it, even if Kaya and Levi weren't hiding it.

"So, what improvements can we make in future?" Kaya asked the group, however, most were too proud or shy to answer upfront. "Cmon, there were tons of mistakes, just point one out." She then ordered.

"I should have conserved my gas, or  replenished it when I had the chance." Taylor finally spoke.

"You know the technique, I've seen you use it. But your anger keeps misguiding you." The ghoul added. "Anyone else?"

"I shouldn't have used people in my squad as distractions. I'm sorry." Tessa said, looking away from Jade, who she practically sacrificed in the training.

"Should've seen it coming, probably need to start making my own decisions." Jade added.

"Sally, I was actually quite impressed with you. Only improvement I would give is that you should learn more combat skills." Kaya advised. "Taylor, help me out and teach her a few things." She ordered.

Within no time, they'd arrived at their new base. It was another old building, though, this time, it was stationed in wall Maria. After setting their horses in the stables, Kaya gave some new orders.

"Go shower, a healthy soldier is a happy soldier." She said, the girls nodded and took that as their opportunity to go. They'd always assumed Kaya was a clean freak, but in reality, her enhanced senses made their sweat known to her even if it was minimal.

The ghoul then made her way to her office, one of the perks that came with her title. Though, she did hate the paperwork side of it, there'd been more than usual because of the new alliances with other regions outside of Paradis. Once she found her door, the lieutenant sat at her desk with her boots placed sternly on the table. Her job was tiresome, and she barely ever got to see Levi anymore.

Just as she rested her head on her desk, she heard the sound of her door opening and knew exactly who it was. Only one person was allowed to walk into her office unannounced. Levi.

"Well hello, Captain." She smiled and rested her head on the back of her hands as her elbows held them firmly. "Here I was beginning to think you didn't like me." She then added.

"As much as I enjoy our talks, we won't have time for that today." Levi responded to her acts. However, this only made Kaya wonder what exactly he wanted.

"Really, right now? I just got back from training my squad, I'm a little tired." The ghoul asked as she jumped to conclusions.

"That's not exactly what I meant." The captain replied flatly. "We received word from Eren, he needs our help."

Kaya's smile instantly dropped, she hadn't heard from Eren in years and now he suddenly needed help, what was he planning? "What's our move?" The ghoul asked him.

"Gather your squad and wear the new uniform. We're gonna need the extra protection against those guns." He instructed. "Meet my squad in the hall, then we'll regroup with everyone else."

"Got it." Kaya nodded and Levi turned to walk away. "Wait." The ghoul said before quickly walking towards him and giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. "It's been a while." She excused and then they both began to prepare.

Kaya put on the new uniform. It was black, tight fitted and offered them better protection than their other. A chest plate was added that displayed the wings of freedom, along with new straps and black boots. Some of their ODM gears differed, for example, Kaya still had her duel swords and some guns. She assumed the scouts stole the idea from Kenny and his squad.