Chapter 54

The ghoul awoke to a smell of blood and smoke, different to the event she'd previously experienced. This was controlled and less painful, relieving in a way. However, her neutral and calm aura changed quicker than the winds, it all came flooding back. Where was Levi? Was he ok? Did he survive? Not one of her mental questions centred around her, regardless of her unusually weak and slim legs.

"Kaya?" Hange asked.

"Levi?" She turned her head, hoping the owner of the voice would magically transform. "Where is he?" Quickly, she took note of her surroundings, observing the campfire, tent and unconscious Captain near her, that's when she realised the ropes bound to her hands. "Hange? What's going on?"

"Sorry about that, I didn't know how you'd react, you need human flesh to heal quicker, right?" They answered using their logic.

"So you tied me up, because you thought I'd eat you and Levi?" It hurt Kaya but that was the answer she knew was true.

"It was just a precaution, it's not like he's in the best of states anyways." The commander pierced a sewing needle into his flesh, weaving it in and out. "By the looks of it, you shielded him with your own body. Guess his face managed to make it above your shoulders, along with his hands too."

"Is he going to be okay?" The ghoul asked.

"Everyone got turned into titans, you're both the only survivors. Ghouls and Ackermans aren't built like the rest of us. For that reason, I'm sure he'll recover."

Upon hearing Hange's words, Kaya took a sigh of relief, leaning back onto into the dirt. For a small fragment of time, she was calm, but given the circumstances, it couldn't last long. An ever so present hunger was echoing within her body, Kaya knew she needed to eat, her legs were still weak and fatigued from the healing.

"I'm sorry, but ghouls require energy to heal. I need to eat." She told her commander.

"I had a feeling this would happen." Hange stated, finishing Levi's final stitches. "Zeke sent some of the recruits to pursue us, I didn't have a choice." Tears tried to escape.

"I know." Kaya reassured, smelling the air to see if she could locate what Hange was referring to. "I'll be right back."

After that, Kaya walked towards the sweet smell, following her instincts towards her targets, regardless of the slight pain in her legs. She needed to be quick, leaving Levi's side was difficult enough but she wouldn't be able to live with herself if something happened while she was gone. So when she found the recruits, she fed, regaining her strength and gradually losing the pain. Then she swiftly made her way back to camp.

"I tried to be quick." She stated, sitting beside Levi and observing his injuries, injuries she failed to prevent. "I'm so sorry." Kaya whispered, placing her lips against his forehead.

"It's not your fault. You did the best you could to save him." Hange tried to comfort.

"Clearly, my best wasn't good enough." The ghoul mumbled.

"What exactly happened back there? There's no way Zeke could've won. Especially, against you and Levi." They speculated. "So how?"

The subject wasn't one Kaya was fond of, and speaking about it wasn't going to change things. She'd killed so many of her comrades, her friends, but if she didn't sacrifice her humanity, then Levi would've had to pay the price.

"It was in the wine, everyone drank it, apart from Taylor and Sally. Then we received word about Eren's escape, I told my squad to try find any spies and I guess I found one. Sally told Zeke everything, so he turned everyone into titans." She paused, calculating her words. "I killed them, everyone. And it gave Levi the chance to capture the beast, so when I found him, he restrained Zeke by tying him with a thunder spear. The rest is obvious."

"You killed her, Sally." Hange theorised. "Didn't you."

The question caught Kaya off guard, but Hange was right, and it was understandable to wonder if the fact was true. "I killed everyone. But I did what I had to. So please, stop reminding me."

"That must have been difficult, I'm sorry." Hange sympathised, placing a hand on Kaya's shoulder.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." Kaya said in return. "But it wasn't difficult, not at the time. I was completely neutral, no emotions. But afterwards was a different story, still is." She admitted. "But enough about me. What the hell are we supposed to do now?"

"It's too late for us to try and stop Zeke. It's up to Armin and Commander Pixis now." The commander answered. "Eren might be planning to turn on Zeke and hijack the founder, but thanks to Zeke's tainted wine, the Yeagerists would retain control of the island. So even if Eren wins, we'll be on the run for the rest of our lives. That's it, guess it's really my turn Huh? Every since this started, I've just been trying to do what I thought was right, and after everything that's happened, it could land me in a cell."

"You have been doing what's right, at least, that's what I think. Comparing yourself to Erwin is useless, I didn't get it at first, maybe I was still too naïve, but Floch was right, we needed a devil to lead us, if we wanted any chance of freedom. Personally, I'm glad you're not a devil, but other opinions vary." Kaya tried to reason. Even though it hurt to say.

"In that case why don't we all just camp out in the sticks, forever?" The scientist joked, though it was laced with sadness.

"Well, I have always wanted to settle down." Kaya added, but her focus was switched from Levi when she heard Hange take a shocked inhale. "Everything okay?" She wondered until she heard a large rumble in the distance, they were far away from the walls, but something big must have been going on if she could hear it this far out. Was it bombs? Thunder? No, it was far too loud. "Hange? Are you okay, somethings going on." She asked again.

However, the section commander did not seem okay. Eyes wee wide and their breaths were becoming rapid, something was clearly wrong. "He wouldn't. The whole world? How could he not see that-" They spiralled until Kaya interrupted.

"Levi?" The ghoul watched as he tried to sit up.

"What happened? Are you okay?" He whispered, but she was sure he was trying to speak normally. Kaya sent him a quick nod. "Where is that hairy sack of shit?"

"Woah, no need to get up." Hange pushed him back onto his bed.

"Careful." Kaya scolded and saved him from Hange's sudden shove.

"Zeke's long gone, the Yeagerists found him after he escaped the explosion. They took off for Shiganshina half a day ago." Hange informed quickly, Kaya wasn't even sure if he was comprehending what the maniac was saying.

"It was my fault. I screwed up. I didn't think he'd actually do it." The captain looked at his missing fingers.

"Bullshit, you can't take all the damn blame. I was feeding all our information to my squad, I was the one who screwed up, not you." The ghoul reasoned. "And now look at us. Three lunatics hiding in the woods, God knows what's going on."

"Worrying about it won't help. We can't do anything but-" Hange trailed off.

"Run and hide. If we do, where will that get us?" Levi asked.

"So you were listening?" Kaya questioned, but she already knew the truth, meaning he heard her label his best friend as a devil, but something so petty wasn't at the top of Kaya's worries.

"And what's with your little project over there?" His head tuned to a wagon that Kaya didn't take much notice of. "That for me? You gonna pull me around with a horse? Yeah, that sound like you, Hange, there's no way in hell you're gonna be staying out of the action."

"That's right, only we don't have any horses. I was hoping Kaya could pull the wagon, using her enhanced strength. Is that okay?" Hange answered, sounding as though they felt guilty asking.

"Why bother asking, I want that bearded shit dead too." The Lieutenant replied. "But what was that before? You were muttering, just before Levi woke up." She wondered.

"Guess that figures, you're not a subject of Ymir, so it makes sense he couldn't reach into your head." Hange began. "It's Eren, he started the rumbling, he's going to destroy everything."

——————
Authors note : that new aot oc fanfic I mentioned in the last chapter has begun. If anyones interested?