Annoying Cashier

You're roughly pulled out of your slumber when you feel an irritating itch on your face. Taking your hand out from the warm covers to scratch your nose groggily, you open your eyes slowly. Looking straight back at you is pair of chocolate brown eyes a few inches away from your face.

Dan chuckles at your surprise, stepping back so he's not so scarily close to your face. He holds up a few white wispy feathers. "Phil told me to wake you up in a creative way," he explains with another laugh.

That's such a Phil thing to do, you think to yourself, groaning at the horror of facing the new day and snuggling deeper into the safe warm bed.

"I can relate to your reluctancy," you hear Dan say. He pauses. "We're going out to a café for brunch. They do amazing muffins - you have to try some... will you come with us?"

"Yeah, sure! But just warning you, you might have to drag me out of here - it's too comfy," you reply, your voice somewhat muffled by the duvet. You poke your eyes over the top and look at Dan.

His dark chocolate coloured hair is sitting in loose curls on his head, and he's wearing his infamous galaxy jumper with his usual black skinny jeans. He looks at you with an expression you can't interpret. "Will I have to tickle you?" he teases.

You smirk at him. "I might not be ticklish."

Dan makes a noise of disbelief. "Almost everybody is ticklish." He shrugs in indifference and starts to walk away, but suddenly turns around and starts wriggling his fingers at your sides, making you gasp in shock.

​"Stop!" you manage to choke out between your laughs, trying and failing to get away from him.

He stops for a moment and looks at you. "What are you going to do then, huh?"

You look at him in mock sulkiness as an idea sparks in your mind. "Your mum."

He laughs at your immaturity and begins to tickle you again, making you splutter at the sudden movement. You try not to laugh but it proves too difficult. Like before, you beg him to stop.

"I'll only stop if you get out of bed!" he exclaims, still laughing. "What are you going to do, Y/n?" he repeats. He stops tickling you, instead resting his hands on your waist.

"Get out of bed," you say in a monotone robot voice, trying to ignore the butterflies in your tummy.

"Well done!" Dan says with exaggerated enthusiasm, a mischievous glint in his eye. "I'll see you soon!" With that, he walks out of your room, winking at you before he shuts the door.

You stay in bed for a couple more minutes before reluctantly deciding to get up (the promise of the amazing muffins helps to motivate you). You sleepily rub your eyes with your good hand and go over to the mirror, being very careful to put as little pressure as possible on your ankle. You have serious bed head - your hair is sticking up everywhere.

You sigh and look through your clothes, trying to think what would be suitable for the typical Great British weather - pouring rain and ashy grey clouds. You finally choose what to wear and get dressed quickly, fixing your hair as best as you can.

You yawn as you walk (or rather, limp) into the kitchen to make some breakfast, just a few seconds before Dan comes in too - this time with straightened hair. He looks at the box of cereal and the bowl that you put on the worktop in confusion. "Did you forget about the café?"

You shut your eyes for a moment and sigh at yourself. "Yeah, oops. Sorry. Force of habit." You pick up the bowl and box of cereal and put them back in their cupboards.

"Aw, don't worry," he says sympathetically. "I'm really forgetful most of the time too... are you nearly ready to go?"

"Yeah, I just need to get some shoes on. Are you and Phil nearly ready too?" you ask, pouring yourself a glass of water and sipping on it.

"I think so. Meet you at the door in five minutes?"

"Yep, see you then."

*le time skip*

You eye up the numerous cakes, pastries and muffins under the glass as you move closer to the till, somewhat thankful for the long queue that lets you decide what to have without stressing out too much. Dan and Phil are behind you, both looking at the delicacies on display too.

You decide on a raspberry muffin just as the people before you in the line go to sit down, leaving you at the front. You briefly glance at the young man at the till before looking at the menu above his head to look at the drinks.

"Hi there, what can I get for you, beautiful?" he asks.

You ignore his last word, silently wishing that he won't try to flirt with you. "A raspberry muffin and a regular hot chocolate, please, sit in."

He types the values of the items into the till, looking up at you again with a look that you think is supposed to be seductive on his face. "That'll be £5.40, and your number."

He leans across the till and squashes a pile of caramel squares, not even flinching at the improbable sticky mess it made on his apron. He winks at you.

"I'm not really interested, uh-" you start to stay, frantically thinking up excuses to get yourself out of the situation.

"Ah, come on gorgeous, who couldn't resist a guy like me?" he gently strokes your hand and you pull it away from its original resting place on the counter.

In panic, you grab Dan's arm and pull him over to your side, making him let out a surprised "Oh!" You move your hand down to his and interlock your fingers, slightly shocked when he doesn't pull back.

"Actually, I already have a boyfriend. This is Dan," you say, trying desperately to hold back any fear or sign of untruth in your voice. You look up at Dan, trying to communicate your fear to him through your eyes.

Luckily he gets the message, straightening up a bit and narrowing his eyes to a glare. "Yeah, dude, this is my girlfriend, and if you ever talk to her like that again I'm gonna make you lose your job. Got it?"

The man looks slightly frightened, his flirty demeanour from moments before gone in a flash. "Y-yes, sir. Sorry, sir. It won't happen again."

"It had better not," Dan threatens. You're startled to see this side of him - or maybe it's just really good acting. Either way, you're slightly intimidated by it.

You quickly realise that Dan paid for your food and drink seeing as you forgot to, making a mental note to pay him back when you sit down. You stay by his side when he orders his food and drink too. Suddenly conscious of your linked hands, you take yours away quickly and pick up your items, scanning the café for a free table. There are plenty, fortunately.

When Phil has finished ordering, you all come to a mutual agreement and choose the sofa seats by the window, sitting down there and beginning to eat your food.

"Thank you, Dan," you say gratefully. "I'm sorry for dragging you into it so suddenly."

"Don't worry," he replies with a smile. "I can only imagine how uncomfortable that whole thing was for you. People should be respected. I despise the way some people think it's okay to flirt with anybody any time they like."

Phil makes a noise of agreement, swallowing his mouthful of blueberry muffin. "It's really unfair that he put you in such an awkward place. I admire your courage though - if I was in your place, I probably would have melted into the floor."

You don't really know what to reply, so you just smile at them both and continue to eat your muffin, becoming lost in your thoughts. You feel a sudden warmth on your hand, and look down to see Dan intertwining his fingers with yours. He squeezes it in reassurance, like he did in the health centre.

A realisation washes over you like a wave. You like the feeling of his hand in yours - and you never want to let go.