Nightmares and Lucky Charms

You slowly slip into consciousness, half-heartedly rubbing sleep out of your eyes.

You notice that Dan is still asleep beside you, snoring softly, and his eyelids fluttering. His brown hair is sticking up everywhere. You smile and roll over to check your phone.

Reminder: Funeral Directors! (go early to get it over and done with)

You sigh quietly and set your phone down again. You forgot about that. Last night was so... magical that the thought just slipped your mind completely.

"Mmph," Dan says in his sleep, frowning. "No... No. No! Y/n!"

You furrow your eyebrows. He must be having a bad dream. You shake his shoulders gently to wake him up. His eyes shoot open, and his breathing is fast and choppy, making his chest rise up and down quickly. His hair is sticking to his forehead.

"Y/n...?" he asks tentatively, his voice quiet and fragile.

"Yeah, I'm here, Dan," you reply softly, squeezing his hand reassuringly.

He falls silent, and all you can hear is his unsteady breathing. You can feel his heart thumping in his chest.

After a while, he whispers "Nightmare..." in a croaky voice. He runs a hand through his messy hair.

"What was it about?" you ask carefully. "You were almost shouting..."

He doesn't reply for a few minutes, and closes his eyes, sighing. "I- I lost you."

A tear rolls down his cheek, and you squeeze his hand again, lying on his chest. He puts his arm around you and holds you close to him.

"You died in the fire," Dan says. "I tried to save you-" He pauses to take a deep breath. "B-but I couldn't..."

You cup his face gently and kiss him softly. "It's not true," you say. "I'll always be here."

"I'm sorry, I'm being stupid," he says, letting out a watery laugh afterwards.

"No, it's fine," you assure him. "We all have days like this."

Minty's POV:

THUMP!

I jump at the noise, and my eyes shoot open. They rest on Phil's bed... his empty bed. Somebody groans in pain.

I get up from my air mattress cautiously, walking over to the source of the noise. Phil is lying on the floor, rubbing his arm. He looks up at me and his cheeks flush in shame.

"I fell out of bed," he squeaks. His eyes widen, and he clears his throat. "I mean, um..." he says in a deeper voice, "I fell out of bed."

A giggle escapes my mouth, and I raise my hand up to it, muffling my oncoming laugh. Soon, we're both laughing hard, and my eyes are watering, embarrassingly.

"How did you manage that?" I ask, once our laughter dies down.

He shrugs. "The mattress was smaller than I thought it was."

I laugh again, although for a shorter time than before. "You're funny."

"Thanks," he replies with a quiet chuckle, his cheeks turning a pale shade of pink.

There's a comfortable silence between us. Through the wall, I hear quiet sobs. I furrow my eyebrows. Phil clears his throat.

"Would you like to go and watch some Adventure Time?" he asks, getting up from the floor and pushing his glasses further up the bridge of his nose.