Friends Again...?

You hear a door slamming and Phil passes the kitchen door, looking like he is crying. You're scared.

Have Dan and Phil been fighting? They're so close... You hope they make up soon.

You want to comfort them. You go to Dan first. You knock on his door.

"Who is it?" he asks from inside, his voice quiet and husky.

"Y/n. Can I come in?" you return, equally as quietly.

"Yeah..."

You walk in and look around. Dan's sitting hunched up with his back against the wall.

Your heart is overwhelmed with emotions. You sit down beside him and put your arms around him.

He sobs into you. You don't know what to do, so you just sit there and wait for him to calm down a bit.

"What happened between you and Phil?" you ask quietly.

Dan sighs shakily. "He's jealous of you."

You don't think you heard him properly. "What?"

"He's jealous of you," he repeats.

You're stunned. Why would Phil be jealous of you? "Why?"

Dan doesn't reply for a long time.
Eventually, he sighs and says, "We need to sort it out between us. I don't want you to get caught up in this."

"Okay... is there anything I can do to help, though?"

He smiles sheepishly at you. "I'm kind of craving some Maltesers."

You smile at him and pat his arm. "Okay, I'll be back in a minute."

You get up softly and exit his room. You grab a bag of Maltesers from Dan's secret stash and go back to Dan.

He looks up at you and gives you a weak smile. You hand him the Maltesers, and he takes them gratefully. You sit down next to him and sigh.

"It's all my fault that you two had a fight."

"No, it's not your fault! Don't think that," he protests.

You sigh again and run a hand through your hair. You stand up.

"I've got to go."

"Where?" Dan asks, searching your face.

"Somewhere. I don't know... I'll be back soon. I'm in your way."

You almost run out of his room, grab your bag, put your coat on and rush out of the front door. You sigh deeply and walk off to ShakeAway. You're in the mood for a milkshake.

Dan's POV:

I sigh for about the one hundredth time. I've been trying to sum up the courage to apologise to Phil for the last fifteen minutes, at least.

I decide not to be a wuss, and I get up to go to apologise. Just as my hand's on my door handle, I hear a knock on it.

"Come in," I say, adjusting my fringe out of habit and stepping back.

"Hey," Phil says, closing the door behind him.

"Hi," I reply.

We avoid each other's eyes. I take a breath.

"I'm sorry," we say at the same time.

I smile, despite the circumstances. Phil grins back.

"I'll go first," he says.

I nod.

"I've been such a selfish idiot, Dan. I've been grumpy and horrible to you. I've lied to you and avoided you. I've accused you of giving all your attention to Y/n, when in reality it was me who has been a douchebag, making you want to go to her. She's probably better company than me. And I understand that you have feelings for her..."

He takes a shaky breath.

"And in all honesty, I do too. But I have to move on. No, I'm going to move on. All I want is to get you back. I regret everything I said to you earlier."

I smile at his sincere, slightly scared expression. "It's okay, Phil. You'll always have a V.I.P. space in my heart."

I get up and give him a bear hug.

He hugs back tightly and laughs. "You're so cheesy."

I pull back, puff my chest out and smirk. "I'm the King of Cheesy."

Phil chuckles and punches me lightly on the arm. "Idiot."

I smile, but remember something. "It's my turn to apologi-"

"Dan, you don't need to say sorry. All I need to know is that we're friends again. I can't cope without you..." Phil interrupts.

"And you said I was cheesy," I laugh.

"Shut up, I'm trying to be serious!" Phil exclaims, suppressing a smile. "Can we be friends again?"

He holds out his hand to shake mine. I raise an eyebrow at him and pull him into a hug instead.

"We can be best friends, Phil." I say softly.