Decoding and Panicking

A/N: This contains a panic attack, which might be triggering... just to warn you beforehand.

"What does it mean?" Dan asks nobody in particular, in a frustrated tone.

"I don't know," you reply quietly, closing your eyes and racking your brains for answers to the code.

Internet kid?

You've already tried as many code solutions as you can think you of, with no luck.

You pick up your laptop and tap the keys, searching on the internet for an answer.

"Maybe each letter in the code actually means the letter before?" Phil suggests. "Like, B is A."

You shake your head slowly. "We've already tried that... besides, I don't think it has anything to do with the internet."

You pick up the letter again, and the crumpled piece of paper that Dan gave you.

OD FGZ RTQR. LXKHKOLT.

ROR NGX YOUXKT OE GXZ?
EQSS DT.
(phone number)

"Come on guys, let's stop for a while. My brain hurts," Phil says, pouting.

"Agreed," Minty says.

They all look at you, waiting for you to tell them it's okay. After a few moments, you nod, realising that it would be silly to continue. You've already been trying to crack the code for about two hours.

"Okay," Dan says, clapping his hands together. "Who wants a cup of tea?"

"Me!" everyone says in unison.

*le time skip*

You sip your tea out of the rubix cube mug, having to concentrate extremely hard so you don't spill it all over yourself.

"That mug looks very problematic," Minty says, coming over to your side and gesturing to the cup in your hands.

"Yeah, it is. I'm surprised I haven't spilt tea everywhere, to be honest!" you reply, laughing.

She smiles at you and takes a sip of her tea, which is in the hello kitty mug. "Should we go back to decoding? We can leave the boys here for a bit."

Phil raises his head at the word 'boys'. He smiles at Minty, then gives an awkward wave to you both as you leave the room.

Phil's POV:

I chew my lip anxiously. Dan notices this, and he looks concerned.

"Are you okay?" he asks, looking down at me.

"... Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot," he replies with a grin.

"Please don't tease me," I plead quietly.

He laughs lightly. "I won't. What is it?"

"I want to ask Minty to be my girlfriend," I rush out. "How do I do it?"

Before he can reply, Y/n comes in, linking her hand with his. She snuggles into his side.

"Did I hear the word 'girlfriend'?" she asks us, a mischievous and excited look on her face.

I cautiously check over her shoulder for Minty. Y/n sees this. "She's in the loo," she explains briefly.

My mouth forms an 'o' shape, and I shove my hands in my hoodie pockets.

"So?" Y/n continues, giving me a meaningful look.

"I- I didn't say anything," I mumble, tripping over my words and brushing past them both, into the bathroom.