Skyping Feels

The walk back to the flat is a silent one. Neither of you speak much, both too consumed in your thoughts. You arrive at the black door of the apartment block around 3:30pm, according to your phone. Just as you step inside, your stomach rumbles loudly.

You feel blood rush to your cheeks in embarrassment, awkwardly forcing yourself to cough to try and cover up the incriminating noise. Needless to say, it's too late. Dan looks over at you with a smile on his face, closing the door behind him.

"I somehow get the impression you're hungry," he says, raising his hand to his upper lip and twirling an imaginary moustache.

You gasp dramatically, acting oblivious. "What? Where'd you get that from?"

"Well, Watson, it's quite simple really," he replies. "Seeing as there is one animal hair on your jacket, possibly a small dog such as a chihuahua, it tells me that you were stroking a dog today and perhaps want one of your own. Furthermore, from the twitch of your left ear and the low rumbling that is not likely to be an earthquake, I have deduced that you require nourishment fairly soon."

You laugh at his impression. "What did the chihuahua have to do with it?"

Dan shrugs. "Don't question the detective. Just accept it."

You both start to climb the stairs, the silence once more appearing between you. Just as Dan unlocks the door to the flat, you hear a faint Skype call noise. You start going up the stairs quicker, taking them two at a time and nearly falling over in the process. The adrenaline rush seems to numb the pain from your ankle.

"Woah, slow down," Dan breathes out heavily, desperately trying to keep up.

Once you reach the hall, you can confirm the Skype noise is coming from your room. You run (as fast as you can with a sore foot) to try and answer it, but you miss it by a few seconds.

You open your laptop and check whose call you missed, finding that it was your friend. You call back immediately, hoping they haven't gone away. They pick up promptly, waving at you.

"Y/n! How are you? I thought I'd missed you there."

"Hey! I'm great thanks, what about you? Sorry I missed your first call, I was just coming through the door," you reply guiltily.

"I'm good," your friend says, smiling at the webcam. A look of confusion crosses their face. "Hold on - I don't recognise that room, where are you?"

"Long story," you say with a laugh. "To sum it up, I moved out of home a while ago. I had looked at an amazing place on a website, and it was so cheap. Mum and I drove over to check it out. It was nothing like the pictures, they must have been taken years ago.

"Anyway, I just decided to stay for a few days and see how it went. I thought maybe it might get better." You laugh somewhat bitterly. "The house was owned by a grumpy landlord, but still I thought I could deal with it."

As you tell the rest of the story, your friend gets more and more bewildered.

"A couple of new friends here offered to house me for a bit until I find somewhere else," you conclude.

Your friend lets out a low whistle. "Can I see your injuries?"

You nod, moving the laptop around so they can see your ankle dotted with light purple and yellow blotches, and then the bandage on your wrist. You show them the hardly noticeable scar where your lip was split open, too.

"I went to the police station today to report him," you add. "They're going to question him tomorrow."

They shake their head in disapproval. "I hope he goes to jail. That sounds awful. By the way, who are your friends?"