Minty

Phil's POV:

The little bell above the door rings as we walk into Starbucks. I hold the door open for the girl, like the gentleman I am. Or like to think I am, anyway.

She giggles and thanks me as she walks in. She chews her lip, a thoughtful expression on her face.

"Umm... before I get to know you a bit better, can you, uh... tell me your name?" she asks, with a ghost of a smirk on her lips.

I have two sudden thoughts -

1. She wants to know me better?

2. How could I not have told her my name?!

I laugh nervously. "My name's Phil, what about you?"

"Minty," she replies, a trace of amusement in her eyes.

She must have seen my confusion, because she says, "It's my nickname."

"What's your real name?" I ask, out of curiosity.

"Ah," she says, tapping her nose and chuckling.

"Next!" the barista calls.

I walk up to the till.

"One iced frappe, please and.. What would you like, Minty?"

"Caramel frappucino, please," she replies, smiling.

"And a caramel frappucino," I say.

The barista types it into the till.

"That'll be four pounds, please," she says.

(A/N: I don't know the actual price of these things, so just go with it xD)

I hand over the money.

"Your names, please?" the barista asks.

"Phil," I say, making eye contact with Minty.

"Minty," she says, grinning.

The barista nods and writes it on our cups, then goes off to make the drinks. Minty and I both move to the side of the till to let the next people order.

"Does anyone know your real name?" I ask her.

"Yeah, my mum and dad do... that's about it. I only tell people I'm really close to, I guess," she replies, shrugging.

The barista calls out our names and we collect our drinks.

"Inside or outside?" I ask Minty.

She thinks for a moment. "Outside, it's too warm in here."

I nod. "Yeah, it's roasting."

We both walk outside, and I hold the door for her again, plus a steady stream of about 30 people. I get stuck holding the door for a while, and Minty just laughs at me from the other side of the glass. I stick my tongue out at her and narrow my eyes.

Eventually, I get out of Starbucks.

"Where do you want to go?" Minty asks me.

I shrug. "How about the park again?"

She nods slowly. "Yeah, let's go!"

She grabs my hand and leads me to the park again.

I'm almost vomiting butterflies from being so nervous.

My hands are probably sweating. I pull it away from Minty and she gives me a strange look.

I just smile at her, hoping she doesn't ask any more questions. Luckily, she doesn't.

I'm about to stop at a bench near us, but she keeps walking further. I look puzzled and follow her until we get to a pretty clearing, with a trickling clear stream and cherry blossom trees everywhere.

She sits down on the grass and pats it, gesturing for me to sit beside her.

I lower myself to the ground and cross my legs (force of habit).

She chuckles at me, looking towards my crossed legs.

"We always had to sit like this in primary school meetings," I explain. "So I'm used to it now."

"Oh right," she replies. "We got chairs to sit on in primary school meetings."

"Lucky you," I say to her.

There's a comfortable silence between us. All I can hear is the stream and the trees rustling in the wind.

I look up at the trees, only to get a pile of leaves blowing into my face.

Minty laughs hysterically, clutching her tummy.

I blow a leaf out of my mouth and glare at her, trying not to smile.

She continues laughing, and eventually I can't hold my laughter in any longer.

I snort unattractively, which sends us into more fits of giggles.

Once we've stopped, I wipe the tears from my eyes. She does the same.

"So, Phil. Tell me a bit about yourself," Minty says, a mischievous glint in her eye.

"Uhh... I'm twenty eight, I live in a flat with my best friend, Dan, and his girlfriend and I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer..." I say, smiling sheepishly. "What about you?"

"I'm twenty five, I live in a flat on my own, and I like Muse and Fall Out Boy," she says, smiling back.

I widen my eyes at her. She gives me a confused look.

"I love those things!" I exclaim.

"Really?" she asks, looking surprised.

I nod enthusiastically. "You're surprised?"

She shrugs. "I thought you would be the kind of boy who listens to Lady Gaga or someone like that."

I put on an offended face. "Why, do I not look tough enough to listen to Fall Out Boy?"

"You're too... I don't know, adorable, for that," she says, a light blush on her cheeks.

I laugh. "I get that a lot."

*le time skip*

Minty's phone rings suddenly, making me jump. She shoots me an apologetic look and takes it out of her bag, putting it up to her ear.

"Hello?" she says. "Yeah... Ugh, fine... Right, I'll be there in about an hour."

She hangs up, and I pick at the long strands of grass near my foot.

"I'm sorry, Phil, but I have to go, my mother wants me to go to her house," Minty says, rolling her eyes and groaning.

I shrug and smile. "It's okay... umm... did you enjoy this? Because we could do it again sometime, if you wanted to."

She grins at me. "That sounds great. Can I have your number?"

"Sure," I say, shrugging. I might seem calm and collected on the outside, but believe me, that is DEFINITELY not how I'm feeling.

We exchange numbers and she walks away, waving.