Chapter 16

After my shower, we all sat at the dining room table to eat our dinner. I stayed silent during most of it, only opening my mouth to answer a question directed toward me. Aidan sat close by my side. His hand or cheek would rest on my arm every so often and my stomach and heart fluttered at the contact.

For the most part, Irene and Aidan talked about what happened during the day. Aidan mostly asked about Irene's work and how she went on her trip. My eyes kept moving between them, happy with the way they interacted with each other.

Irene mentioned having to go away again at the end of the week and she'd be gone for the rest of the month. It put a bit of pressure on the plan to make sure Aidan was watched at all times. But I guess that just meant him spending more time at my workplace.

"What exactly do you do, Irene?" he asked.

"I technically work two jobs," she shrugged. "For the same company. I co-own a sex-positive organisation that teaches BDSM styles and dynamics. It helps people understand. But another part of that organisation is also to comfortably and safely allow sex workers to do what they love."

"Really?" he said, curiosity exploding from him. "That's actually really amazing."

"Thank you," she laughed. "I try to make sure people are happy, comfortable, and safe. It's just a fun job but so many people put it down."

"What about you, Gabe?" he turned to me. "I feel it's only fair to know, and at least I'm not making either of you have multiple orgasms to answer it."

"Oh, come on," Irene teased. "You enjoyed it."

"Don't you worry, I really, really did," he replied to her then turned his attention back to me, raising his eyebrows expectantly.

"Uh... Well, after a few years of being estranged from my dad, we reconnected and he gave me a job at his little company," I explained. "We do a lot of inventory and warehouse work, and distribute items out to various companies. As for the workers, we give second chances to ex-cons often."

"That's very sweet of you and your father," he smiled.

"You could come round tomorrow," I suggested. "I'm sure my father would love to show you around."

"If you're sure?" he sat up straighter in his chair. "He's not going to... be uncomfortable with me there?"

"Why would he...? Oh," I realised. "He knows my sexuality and he's always been respectful to any trans workers, you don't have to worry. Hell, he'd probably joke around with you and try to embarrass me."

His smile grew. "Sure, I'd love to."

"I'm going to head to my room now though," I leaned down and kissed him gently. "Take your time, if you two want to keep chatting."

"I'm actually very tired after the day we've had," he replied.

He stood up from his chair and pushed it in. He then collected the rubbish from the table and threw it in the bin for us. I stood up to follow him when Irene grabbed my wrist on my way past. I leaned down and kissed her temple.

"Yes?" I asked.

"You told him?" she questioned.

"Everything."

"Everything?"

"Yes... Every detail," I breathe out shakily.

"He didn't say or do anything that I needed to hurt him for?" she asked genuinely.

"No, he was very understanding in fact and..." I paused and looked up to see Aidan waiting down the hall. He wouldn't be able to hear us. "He didn't push any boundaries. He actually..."

"Actually?" she pressed.

"He actually asked permission to move closer to the shower to kiss me," I finished. "With no pressure at all. He reminded me that I could say no, and it wasn't a demand because it was his birthday. He made me feel... safe. I was safe, Irene."

She raised an eyebrow and looked down the hall with me. Aidan had his head tilted to the side, questioning us. He was wearing a pair of red pyjama bottoms and one of my hoodies. It was getting colder now and, honestly, I wished he could wear one of my jumpers every day.

"That's a good step," she said.

"He's learning more," I nodded. "And he's respecting the information and boundaries."

She let go of me and wished me a good night. She told me she may be out here for a little while longer and I didn't question it. I quickly walked down the hall and took Aidan's hand, leading him toward my room.

"What was that about?" he asked.

"She just wanted to check on me," I shrugged.

"Because of what you told me?" He looked up at me and I pulled him into my room.

"Yes, um... Well, she kind of threatened to hurt you if you hurt me," I replied. "It's nothing to worry about."

"Oh, I'm not worried," he laughed. "She and Alyssa will get along just fine then."

"Mhm," I hummed. "Bedtime now."

"Yes, Sir!" he joked before jumping onto the bed.

I switched off the light and felt my way through the darkness to my bed. I felt hands on me, and he dragged me on top of him. I laughed - a genuine, joyful laugh. My hands rested on either side of him on the bed.

"I don't think you realise how happy you make me," I said.

"Show me with kisses," he said, pressing his lips to mine.