Chapter 22

Aidan changed into some more comfortable clothes and sat at the desk in my room to write. I laid in bed for a little while longer, just watching him hunched over it. My thoughts ran a hundred miles an hour, there was too much to consider. I wondered why my father had requested we stay in my office the entire time we were there. He'd tried his hardest, suggesting he send through my work to do from home. I tried to find where the dots connected.

Maybe Jesse was the redacted name on the sheet. That would explain it if Aidan had revealed who he was to my father. It would explain why he was adamant that Aidan would be safer at mine.

My eyes trailed along Aidan's back as I stood up. He'd checked his phone just a moment ago. His lawyer simply said that Jesse would be released tomorrow morning. I changed into a little bit of formal casual wear. Nice dress pants, button-up shirt. I walked over to Aidan and gently rested my hands on his shoulders. His body was tense under my touch. I wish I knew exactly what he was thinking.

"Talk to me," I softly said.

"I've almost finished," he replied quietly, I had to lean down to hear him. "I'll stand beside you when you talk to them. They'll want pictures."

He spat out the last word angrily. The fact that the media had no respect when it came to this, they only cared for the story and what they could make out of it.

"Are you sure?" I asked as I squeezed his shoulders.

"They won't leave either of us alone if they don't get what they want," he shrugged. "If they want to ask more questions after the statement, I'll give you one squeeze for an answer and two for no comment."

"Works for me," I replied.

He finished writing, looking it over once more before holding it out to me. I took a deep breath in and read over most of the middle area since that was where most of his frustration seemed to be. My eyebrows furrowed together, my expression must have shown my confusion.

"I'm going to be blunt about the decision, but not... hateful," he said. "I don't exactly hate him in the end. It's just not who I am. I'm angry, sure, but... but not that."

"Understood," I mumbled. "Ready to go out?"

He nodded slowly after letting out a sigh. Holding out my hand to him, he took it anxiously. I noticed his hand shaking in mine. Despite the look of defiance on his face and the rest of his body looking pretty relaxed, it was clear just how bad it was in his head. As we stood at the door, he squeezed my hand gently.

"Can we go to that room you punished Irene in when I first came over?" he asked suddenly. "After this. I want to learn some more and... I'll explain the rest later. Just, please, can we?"

"Of course," I said. I leaned down and pressed my lips to his temple. "Deep breath."

I opened the door for us, stepping out into the bright sunlight. Reporters immediately turned to look at us. Thankfully, with the sun out, the flashes were turned off the cameras. I bit my tongue, trying to hold back my anger and frustration.

We barely got out the door and they swarmed. Aidan stood to my right, though hid mostly behind me. People were speaking over each other, I could barely keep it together and I couldn't even imagine how it was for Aidan.

"If everyone could please be quiet!" I yelled. "Aidan has given me a statement to read on the matter and if you want to hear it, then please, quiet down."

"Why must you read it?" one asked instantly.

At least they'd all calmed down enough that I could hear.

"He doesn't feel confident enough to speak, if you could just allow me to read," I replied.

They stayed silent, holding out microphones expectantly.

Playing With The Devilजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें