Chapter 20

I managed to lift him into my arms without too much of a problem. He whimpered into my neck softly. At times I felt his lips graze against my skin, nipping and sucking gently, tentatively. I was surprised by how well I could get him from my office to the car without anyone seeing us.

I'd texted my father that I was off for the day. It'd only been a few hours, but I wanted to get home. I didn't want to have to deal with any more work or worry about those reporters that would be outside Alyssa's. I glanced at Aidan while I was driving.

"Have you talked to Alyssa recently?" I asked.

His hand rested on mine while I drove. He'd been playing with my fingers, rubbing along them and 'drawing' random objects. He had also been mostly silent during the ride, relaxing from earlier. He held a large coke in his other hand and had been sipping at that as well. We'd stopped by the closest fast-food restaurant to get something to eat and drink, especially with his drop in energy.

"I message her every day," he said, squeezing my hand. "She likes to check-in, make sure you're not hurting me still. But she left to visit her parents on my birthday. The house will be empty until the reporters leave."

"She's okay though?" I said, returning the squeeze.

"Yeah, she's okay. Her parents are very welcoming," he smiled. "They sort of became mine when I came out."

"Your own parents weren't too happy about it?" I questioned as I pulled into the driveway.

"Dad was really supportive, but he passed away a couple of years back now," he shrugged. "Mum didn't understand but she tried her hardest with it. She uses the correct name and pronouns now. It's just hard on her."

"Siblings?"

"I have a brother I don't talk to at all," he answered. "I never really understood why he acts the way he does, but he's always been very... egotistical and self-centred. A bit abusive too, so I don't get along with him."

I nodded in understanding. I unbuckled my seatbelt and looked over at him.

"Will you need help to get into the house?" I asked.

"I should be okay," he smiled, pushing open the door.

The reporters were still stationed outside of Alyssa's home. Aidan immediately pulled his hood over his head. Many of the reporters looked sunburned and agitated. The stout man from earlier spotted us and pulled some of them over. I jogged around to Aidan and covered him, letting him limp his way to the front door.

The reporters came straight up to me, and I smiled. I welcomed the older man who had talked to me earlier this morning. I made sure Aidan had stepped through the door before starting to walk backwards, towards the door. The reporters followed me, speaking over one another, so I wasn't sure what they were trying to say. Finally, one of them hushed everyone.

"Do you know where your neighbour is?" one asked.

"Who was that with you?" another yelled from the back.

"I don't know," I said to the first woman. "And that was my partner, we just got back from work."

"I didn't see him with you this morning," the stout gentleman said angrily.

"He was already in the car when you approached me, sir," I shrugged. "Nothing I can do about that."

"You seem to conveniently not know people around here," another called. "We need answers, our readers deserve answers!"

"I mean, it's his private life, isn't it?" I shrugged again, trying to get through my door. "I really can't help you. I don't know him, never talked to him. Thank you for the name this morning though, sir, I looked it up at work. Very sad."