Bucky Barnes- Trust

You rub your arm as you bounce on the balls of your feet. It's early in the morning and you're waiting at the airport for your sister to come pick you up. You had been away for a year learning different languages. Language had always been your strongest subject.

A car honks, making you nearly jump ten feet in the air. "(Y/n)!"

You turn and see Natasha walking over to you, a wide smile pulling at her lips. "Tasha!" You're quick to run to her and squeeze her tightly. "How've you been? The boys aren't giving you any trouble, are they?"

She laughs and slings an arm over your shoulder. "Aren't I the one who's supposed to be asking you that question? After all, I am older."

You poke her side and scowl playfully. "Only by a few years,"

She shakes her head as you reach her car- a sleek, black Ferrari. "Nice ride," You say, hoping into the luxurious automobile and buckling in.

Natasha starts the engine and zooms out of the airport terminal. "There's something I've got to tell you before we reach the Tower."

"What, did Steve finally give in and watch those horror movies you've been talking about?" You fold your hands together and turn to your sister.

"No, not that. We've got a new member of the team,"

You raise your eyebrows. "Since when?"

"Well, he's a work in progress. Won't talk to anyone without threatening them."

"Huh, sounds like you when you're in a mood,"

Natasha chuckles. "This is serious, (Y/n). I was hoping maybe you could talk to him?"

"Why, can't you just do it?" You groan, widening your eyes when the Tower comes into view.

She shakes her head. "He doesn't.. Like me very much,"

You fake a gasp. "How is that possible? You're so sweet and kind and just positively-"

"(Y/n)," Natasha warns, turning into the parking lot under the Tower and getting out of he car. You follow suit and enter the elevator she's in.

"So, what's this 'new-member-but-a-work-in-progress' like?" You ask, running a hand through your hair.

Natasha looks at you from the side of her eyes. "Ever heard of the Winter Soldier?"

"What?" You hiss, right as the elevator opens. "Natasha, I don't think-"

"Walk all the way down the hall, make a right, second door on your left. The code is 3375. Good luck."

She pushes you out of the elevator and gives you a smile.

Narrowing your eyes, the elevator doors close but not before you shout, "You owe me!"

Sighing, you follow her instructions and end up in a room with one way glass. You let out a nervous breath and step into the room, cursing softly when the door slams shut. Thankfully, the Winter Solider didn't seem to notice.

"Hello?" You say quietly, walking forward until you're directly in front of the screen. "I'm-"

"Get away!" He hisses in a foreign language, turning around so fast and slamming his hands onto the glass you barely have a chance to gasp.

You easily note that he's speaking in Russian, and reply in the same language, "But I'm here to help you-"

"I don't want your help!" He turns and stalks back onto the bed.

You roll your eyes. "I came all the way from Europe just to babysit some drama queen?"

He turns at your comment, a snarl pulling at his lips. "Who are you?"

"(Y/n),"

He sits down on the bed, facing away from you. "I don't know you,"

You nod, but realize he can't see you and walk over to the a control panel.

"How do I work this thing?" You mutter, pressing a button that says transparent.
The screen is instantly gone, making you widen your eyes. "Oh fu-"

The Winter Soldier flies towards you, but the invisible screen blocks him from reached you. He slammed his fists on the screen, shouting what horrible things he'll do to you if you didn't let him out.

"Shut up!" You blurt, surprising him into silence and cautiously step closer to the screen and trying to meet his eyes. "Would you just-"

He continues to bang on the screen, "Let me go!"

You sigh in frustration. "You'll never be let out if you keep acting like an animal,"

He stops at your words and meets your eyes. "Then how do I act?" He growls. "I can't be expected to act normally if I'm locked in a cage!"

You nod. "You're right, you're completely right. But, you have to stop threatening everyone. Earn their trust. Okay?"

He furrows his eyebrows. "I don't want to be controlled," he say lowly, looking up at you with scared eyes. "I don't want to be what I was."

You smile. "Don't worry, SHIELD doesn't want to control you. We only want to help you get better."

After you had left, Bucky sits in the corner of the room, staring blankly at his metal arm. "She says earn their trust," he murmurs, flexing the prosthetics limp. "but how can I do that if I don't even trust myself?"