Steve Rogers- Compare

[requested on Tumblr]

"Has Fury asked you yet?"

You look up from the tablet to see Steve leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed over his chest.

"Only about a hundred times,"

He sighs, walking into the room and sits down across from you. "Then why don't you accept? It'd be great to have you on the team."

"The field isn't really for me, you know?"

"Actually, no." You raise your eyes from the screen to Steve. "I don't know."

"Who peed in your breakfast this morning?" You mutter, continuing to analyze their last missions report, but Steve scoffs and you look up again. "Is there something wrong?"

"How are you fine with this?" He stands, head shaking as. "How are you okay with being confined to this room?"

"It doesn't bother me-"

"You know, Peggy would've never been able to sit still in here." He lets out a breath through his nose. "She always had to be where the action was."

You stare in shock as he exits the room, closing the door as he leaves. In the heat of the moment, you pick up your phone and dial Fury's number.

"Hello?"

"When do I start?"
____

It had been easy to set the mission up. Natasha had been scheduled to go in on a HYDRA base as a prisoner, quietly hacking into their system and frying their tech within a few days, but you insisted that you coming along would only take half of the time it'd take for her to go solo.

You and Natasha are already in separate cells on the base, but you had hidden comms in the seems of your shirts, so once the guards lock your doors and leave, you break them out and start the mission.

"(Y/n). You there?"

"Yeah. Everything okay on your end?"

"Well, my cell smells like urine. But yeah."

You slip off your shoe and take the small memory chip in the hidden compartment, attaching it to the flexible laptop that you had stored in your jacket.

"Let's just get this over with so we can go," you mutter, begin the process is downloading a virus into their server.

She laughs quietly. "We've been here, what, a day and you're already so eager to leave? I thought you were the one who begged Fury to let you on the mission."

You remain quiet as you tap on the pad, eyes narrowing in confusion when a bright red ERROR sign pops up on the screen.

"Natasha? Something's wrong-"

"(Y/n)! They're coming to get us. Someone must've known we were here."

You hurry to back away into the corner of the cell, grimacing when your shoes stick to the stone. "What do I do? What's going to happen?"

"Don't worry, I've sent the emergency signal to Fury, they should-" her comm suddenly cuts out as your cell doors slam open, and two men enter, one raising their gun and holds the tip inches from your face, but he brings it up and slams it against forehead.
___

You don't really remember how you had come to waking up in a jet with Steve's hand entangled in yours, but you remember getting caught and sit up quickly only for your head to spin.

"(Y/n)." Steve sounds so relieved as he lightly touches your cheek, but you push his hand away.

"Where's Natasha?"

He looks hurt by your action, but you're too tired to care as he points behind him. You see Clint running a hand through her hair as she rests her head on his lap, and he gives you a small smile which you return.

"What happened?"

"Our inside was killed before you two even got to camp. The whole thing was sabotaged from the start."

"This is why I don't like to be out in the field," You mutter, hugging your knees to your chest.

"It's okay, (Y/n). Action isn't for everybody-"

"Peggy can handle it, though." You say bitterly, shrugging off the hand he had out on your shoulder. "And I can't. So, yeah."

He sighs. "Look, I'm sorry about that. I was just getting nostalgic and I-"

"And you think that that means it's okay to start comparing me to your military ex-girlfriend?"

"I'm sorry, really, I if I could take it back, I would."

"Well, you can't. I just need some time, okay?"

He sighs, stands and presses a kiss to your forehead before joining Tony at the nose of the jet.