Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Glass Marbles

This day was Chen Xiao Mi’s lucky day, he had captured a boar after days of coming home empty-handed.

A lot of villagers had seen it, but no one dared approach Chen Xiao Mi or have a conversation with him due to his ill repute. They all looked at him with envy.

Chen Xiao Cai and Chen Xiao Mai went into raptures on seeing that.

Chen Xiao Mi was in such a great mood as well, he butchered the boar into parts, he planned to keep the bones to himself and sell the other parts for a good price.

Lu Lin cooked a stir-fry tofu with garlics, bone broth porridge for dinner.

Chinese yam porridge was yummy, and the Chen Brothers seemed to really enjoy it, but Lu Lin was constantly looking for a diverse diet.

Lu Lin was so happy when Chen Xiao Mi butchered the boar. The bones were rich in calcium and collagen, but people in that time and space didn’t realize that and they didn’t make good use of the bones.

Lu Lin stewed the broth for over two hours until the ingredients all went golden.

Pork tripe made great ingredient as well, it was so pricy in modern society, but it was a shame that Chen Xiao Mi didn’t know how to cook pork tripe, he used to throw the pork tripe out like garbage.

Chen Xiao Mi enjoyed the broth porridge with obvious relish, he was so glad that he decided to let Lu Lin take over cooking, he couldn’t believe those bones could make such great ingredients. He couldn’t help but beat himself up for throwing a lot of great ingredients out.

Lu Lin was so glad to see the way the Chen Brothers enjoyed dinner.

Chen Xiao Mi had a question though, he wondered how Lu Lin had cut the bones into small parts. ‘He must have used a very sharp knife.’

Chen Xiao Mi was into hunting, he was interested in knives, but he didn’t ask Lu Lin in the end.

“Big Brother, are you going to town?” Chen Xiao Cai asked.

Chen Xiao Mi nodded, “I need to sell the pork, so we can have money to buy stuff.”

Chen Xiao Mi planned to go to town days ago, but he kept rescheduling it because the rice, eggs, salt and all the other ingredients kept regenerating… …

Lu Lin was glad to hear that.

“Are you going to town on ox-cart?” Lu Lin searched the host’s memory and found out that the villagers usually borrowed the village head’s oxcart when they went to town.

Chen Xiao Mi’s face darkened, he looked displeased and said, “I’m going on foot.”

It suddenly occurred to Lu Lin that Chen Xiao Mi would have a hard time borrowing the village head’s ox-cart due to his reputation, plus it was usually a few people organized a time and borrowed the oxcart together.

And it made sense now why Chen Xiao Mi had butchered the boar, it was easier to carry the parts instead of the whole boar.

“Can I go with you?”

Chen Xiao Mi nodded, “Okay, but you need to walk too.”

Lu Lin nodded, he was interested to see the downtown area.

Lu Lin hesitated a bit and asked, “I have something that I want to sell when we are in town, do you know anyone that might be interested?”

“What do you have?” Chen Xiao Mi was curious.

Lu Lin produced a glass marble from his pocket, Chen Xiao Mi’e eyes were glued to that sparkly little thing immediately.

There were quite a few kids toys in the convenience store, but a lot of them were too novelty for that time and space.

Lu Lin had found some glass marbles in his store a few days ago, he loved to play glass marbles when he was a kid, but they were replaced by fancy toys as time went by.

Lu Lin knew there were glasswork in that time and space, but they were exotic and were usually hoarded as a rare commodity.

A glass marble was a small spherical object that was colorful inside. People in modern times wouldn’t lift their eyelids on seeing one, but it was no different than a treasure in this time and space.

“This is so beautiful, how did you get it?” asked Chen Xiao Mi.

Lu Lin had prepared a story in advance, he said he saw two merchants when he was a kid, and this marble fell out from their bag.

Chen Xiao Mi frowned on hearing this belonged to someone else, but soon he came to.

That happened years ago, surely no one would pursue this matter.

“I will look for a buyer for you, but it all depends on luck how much you can sell it for.”

Lu Lin smiled, “That’s okay, we can use the money to buy stuff for winter.”

Chen Xiao Mi was satisfied to hear that answer, yeah, they needed a lot of stuff for winter.