Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Savory Egg Pancakes

Lu Lin went to the kitchen after he talked to Chen Xiao Mi.

Chen Xiao Cai walked to Chen Xiao Mi and asked curiously, “What were you guys talking about just now?”

Chen Xiao Mi hesitated for a while and decided to not tell his little brother about the glass marble, it belonged to someone else after all, he didn’t want his little brother to get worried.

“We just talked about going to town tomorrow.”

Chen Xiao Cai somehow didn’t buy it, he was sure they were talking about something else.

‘My brother has changed due to Lu Lin, he isn’t close to me any more.” Chen Xiao Cai sighed in his heart.

But he didn’t dislike Lu Lin now, Lu Lin was nice and on top of that, he was such a great cook.

“That’s all?” Chen Xiao Cai murmured.

Chen Xiao Mi nodded, “Yeah, nothing else.”

This wasn’t the first time that Chen Xiao Mi went to town, he made preparations in good order.

“Would you like me to carry some pork for you?” Lu Lin asked.

Chen Xiao Mi cast a glimpse at Lu Lin and frowned slightly, “I’ve got this, I don’t think you can make it to town if you carry something this heavy.”

‘Oh my, I need to establish my authority in this family, he is a Bio, and he underestimates me, his husband, like this! But it takes about two hours to walk to town, hmm, no wonder the villagers don’t walk to town so often and they would organize a group to borrow the ox-cart together.’ Thought Lu Lin.

‘How can I establish my authority though? I want to win his respect… …’

Lu Lin woke up early that morning to make breakfast, he snuck back into his store to get some flour.

Lu Lin was so generous when he made the batter, he put eggs, chopped green onions and salt into the batter. Lu Lin tasted the first one, and he was happy about the outcome. It was pan-fried which gave it crisp edges yet also a chewy texture.

He continued cooking until he counted the pancakes, there were seven in the plates already. And he had used seven eggs in total, Lu Lin snickered on seeing the eggshells, the villagers would be dumbfounded if they saw so many egg shells.

Seven eggs for a meal, so luxurious!

Lu Lin hid three pancakes on the counter in the store so he could sneak into the store and fill the stomach if he got hungry on the way to town.

Chen Xiao Mi gorged himself with the pancake, “It’s so tasty, what’s it made of?”

“It’s an egg pancake.” Replied Lu Lin.

Chen Xiao Mi licked his fingers and smacked his lips, “Eggs again?”

Chen Xiao Mi was surprised by Lu Lin’s lifestyle, he knew the Lus were quite well-off, but he was still blown away by how generous Lu Lin was when he cooked.

Lu Lin smiled, “I can always find more eggs in the mountains, don’t worry.”

Chen Xiao Mi pursed his lips and said with a funny tone, “You are so lucky, but I’m afraid there won’t be many eggs left in the mountains.”

That had reminded Lu Lin, ‘Hmm, I have been very generous lately, I’m afraid soon we will finish the two baskets of eggs if I carry on like this.’

Lu Lin did some math in his mind, then he was relieved, there were still plenty of eggs left in the baskets.

Lu Lin had cooked some porridge as well, the two set out after a hearty breakfast.

The way to town was rough and stony. Lu Lin’s feet started to hurt not long after, but Chen Xiao Mi was walking with much bounce even though he was carrying a heavy basket.

Walking on the rugged mountain track, Lu Lin got so nostalgic, he missed his small car so bad, it was a cheap second-handed car, but it served him well.

Lu Lin started panting after walking for an hour nonstop.

“Break time?” Chen Xiao Mi asked.

Lu Lin’s lips twitched when he saw Chen Xiao Mi, Chen Xiao Mi’s breaths were as regulated as they were walking upon a level road. He knew Chen Xiao Mi was just being considerate when he suggested a break.

Lu Lin forced a smile and said, “I think we should hurry on with our journey.”

Chen Xiao Mi gave Lu Lin a meaningful look and said, “All right then.”

Chen Xiao Mi led the way and Lu Lin tried so hard to keep up with him, but Lu Lin felt like Chen Xiao Mi started to slow down after he noticed he was struggling.

Lu Lin was touched, ‘People all say this Chen Xiao Mi is ferocious and scary, but he has a warm heart.’

Lu Lin snuck to the store and got two pancakes, “Chen Xiao Mi, would you like a pancake?”

Chen Xiao Mi turned around in a huff, “All you can think it eating!”

With that being said, Chen Xiao Mi still took the pancake and ate it with relish.

Lu Lin snickered, he had noticed Chen Xiao Mi had been starving himself on purpose to support the family and feed his brothers.

“It’s still warm, how come?”

“I kept them in my sleeves.” Replied Lu Lin promptly.

Chen Xiao Mi cast a glimpse at Lu Lin after hearing that.

Lu Lin wasn’t sure whether Chen Xiao Mi was convinced or not.