Chapter 46

Chapter 46: Spring Imperial Examinations is Coming

Days passed uneventfully for Lu Lin and the Chen Brothers, but the young people who went to school in town had become the talk of the village for the Spring Imperial Examinations was just around the corner.

The young people's family would always try to create a quiet environment for them, they would keep their voice down and make less noise.

"Lin Gege, do you know there are so many matchmakers visiting the Lus now?" Chen Xiao Cai asked.

"Oh? Matchmakers? For who?"

"Some are for Lu Tong, some are for Lu Cheng Yu. But Tang said Lu Cheng Yu needed to focus on the examination first, so mainly they are for Lu Tong. The villagers all say that Lu Cheng Yu is very proud and arrogant, he thinks he is too good for the village girls, he is counting on marrying a lady in town after he becomes a Xiucai. (T/N: Xiucai, one who passed the imperial examination at the county level)" said Chen Xiao Cai with a radiant face.

Lu Lin was surprised to see Chen Xiao Cai's change, Chen Xiao Cai used to be a sulky kid who pulls a long face all the time, but now he looked so much happier. Lu Lin thought it must be those little friends who had help him open up more.

"Zhang Da Hu told you this?"

"Not only Zhang Da Hu, but other kids are also talking about the same thing."

Lu Lin smiled, "Good job, Cai, it looks you and your friends are really getting along well."

Chen Xiao Cai scratched his head and blushed a bit.

Chen Xiao Cai didn't understand why the kids who used to stay away from him now had become his best friends, they would tell him all the gossips they had heard from the parents without reservation. 'Well, maybe it's for the Tangyuan's sake.' Thought Chen Xiao Cai.

Zhang Da Hu and the kids kept asking Chen Xiao Cai when they could help to do some farm work or pick some berries, they all said they were willing to work for free, all they wanted was a nice meal. But Lu Lin didn't mention a word about berry picking, so Chen Xiao Cai had been turning them down.

"The kids can't wait to have some more Tangyuan." Laughed Chen Xiao Mi, "I can't believe they finished the whole pot. I'm so glad I had eaten some in advance, otherwise I couldn't even have a taste."

Glutinous rice was too pricy for most villages, that was the first time the kids had Tangyuan, and they wished they could have some more soon.

"Cai, what else have you heard about Lu Tong's marriage?" Lu Lin was interested to find out more information.

Chen Xiao Cai shook his head, "Not yet, the Lus want 20 taels of silver as betrothal present, which has scared away a lot of families."

"20 taels?" Lu Lin was a bit shocked.

'20 taels is no small amount, and I'm sure Tang won't prepare a decent dowry for Lu Tong like other families who marry daughters.' Thought Lu Lin.

Chen Xiao Cai continued, "My friends also said there are a lot of villagers who like Lu Tong, but they are scared away by that 20 taels."

Chen Xiao Cai had no idea hie brother and his brother-in-law had already made a fortune through selling alcohol and jam, so he also was intimidated by the number 20.

"Wow, 20 taels!" murmured Chen Xiao Mi, then he couldn't help but recall he had only spent 10 taels on marrying Lu Lin, he didn't think that Lu Tong was worth two Lu Lin.

Lu Lin cast a glimpse at Chen Xiao Mi who was lost in thought and snickered.

"That will scare away a lot of villagers, is Tang not afraid of that? Maybe Lu Tong will end up marrying late due to the high price." Said Chen Xiao Mi.